Stall training tomorrow - any tips?

Hey everyone,

Tomorrow i’m doing a lesson and we’re going to be covering stalls. Any tips from rwa pilots? Ive heard they’re quite spooky at first, but easy to recover from.

thanks!

4 Likes

My first time doing stall practice, it was a liiiitle scary. Did it on my discovery flight lol. I got a little scared and put my hands on the side/fort and roof. It’s like a roller coaster- u just lose your stomach. That stall horn tho… ouch. Very loud

5 Likes

Hey there, I can answer your question, I’m not a rwa pilot yet but my grandpa was a pilot in the Navy and he flew the 747 for Pan Am. He taught me a lesson on stalls before as well. He told me that when recovering a stall, you should always pitch the nose down as your number one priority. If your start to lose speed while climbing using autopilot, adjust your vertical speed. Next you should retract your Flaps little by little and start increasing the throttle. Last, always stay calm. Stalls are recoverable most of the time. Good luck on your stall lesson tomorrow!

2 Likes

My least favorite maneuver from ppl training. However, you get used to it after the first time around. Focus on your feet, and use peripheral vision or clouds in the sky to keep the rudder perfectly coordinated. FYI the maneuver (as you already know) is extremely safe. Most training aircraft have a very hard time spinning and your instructor will be there to prevent that.

10 Likes

No tip, but man have a safe flight, and like said before stay calm, and have fun learning :)

3 Likes

As said above, the rudder is the key. If you use no rudder you’re gonna have a high chance of spinning. Another tip is to stay calm. Don’t freak out, take a deep breath or two, and you should be fine. It might look like you’re approaching the ground at an alarming rate but the reality is you only lose about 500 feet. Once you get used to them they’re fun. The most important thing is to have fun! Learn from the experience and take note of what the instructor is doing. (For those wondering why pilots practice stalls I’ll tell you. The most common stall is on a landing (power off stall), and leading in second is a stall on takeoff (power on stall). Therefore, it is important to practice both of these in a “controlled environment” to insure that you know what to do if one happens. Sorry if I’m wrong on one of the terms or something I haven’t refreshed myself with that in awhile.)

One last thing I forgot to add, trust your instructor. They know what they’re doing and have tons of experience. I suggest watching for the first couple of times just to get the feel of it. But I don’t know where you are at with flying so that’s your and your instructors decision. Enjoy your flight!

11 Likes

Thanks so much for the advice! I assume we’re probably going to do one where I just watch, one where he mirrors the controls, and one where Its just me. Thanks!

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m a rwa pilot and I don’t prefer stalls. I don’t like rollercoasters which is probably why.

Just keep doing them over and over and you build up confidence. Just remember, when the nose drops down, that’s good! It means you’re getting more airflow, which means you’re not falling out of the sky. It’ll feel weird, though.

1 Like

Rudder. Rudder. Rudder. Keep telling your self that and you will be fine.

Stalls are fun. And contrary to common belief while it will lead to spin, to induce that you have to be extremely aggressive on the controls (complete opposite rudder and alieron deflection) even then you will have to hold that for a while and once it dips you will still haave to hold that for three total spins to actually spin. 5th spin in you are officially in it. And recover.

Key of note this is for a c172.

If you have a good instructor he/she will show you a stall and let go of the flight controls and with correct rudder let the plane stall and you will see how the plane recovers on it own once speed is built up. It’s an amazing thing to see. Honestly.

4 Likes

Symptoms of a stall/Recognising a stall: High nose attitude to maintain altitude, low speed, stall Warner/Horn sounding, buffeting.

Recognising a stall in level flight is quite easy. You will probably do stalls in turns, landing configuration etc, those can be a bit more difficult to recognise.

Landing configuration stalls: Once you have recognised you are in a stall… Pitch down, full throttle, once recovered, climb away with flaps, and when a positive rate is established and a safe speed retract the flaps in notches progressively. Do make sure not to retract the flaps all in one go, this will decrease lift a lot.

Stalls in the turn: Once you have recognised you are in a stall… Pitch down, maintaining the bank angle, full throttle, then wings level, once recovered, climb away, maintaining a safe speed. Do remember your Stall Speed is increased quite a bit with more bank (More Bank=Higher Stall Speed).

Stalls are a killer when inadvertently entered, especially on the ‘dreaded Base to Final turn’, it is well know within the aviation community, that this is quite a dangerous turn, especially for in-experienced pilots, this is due to pilots over-shooting the Runway, so they have a high bank angle, and low speed, (remember with Bank Angle=Higher stall speed) so the aircraft stalls, at that altitude for a Base to Final turn, the chance of recovering are very slim, that’s why it’s important to be fully familiar to why an Airplane Stalls, how to prevent, and recover from them.

When recovering from a stall, your priorities are quite simple… Safely recover, keeping the airplane coordinated (use that Rudder!) and without loosing a huge amount of altitude, on that topic, during Power On Stalls, is you put the nose on the horizon, and don’t pitch down too much, you shouldn’t loose more than roughly 50 feet.

My first ever Stall Lesson, best lesson, and one of the most important one, don’t be scared, there nothing scary to practice, but important.

If I have said something stupid PM me, got 2 hours sleep 😵

2 Likes

hey few tips for you

1. there is an acronym to help you to remember stall recovery (PPD)
  • Pitch- Pitch the plane to straight and level flight
  • Power- add full power
  • D- reduce the flaps by one notch
  1. Your instructor might say pitch the nose down where you are starting to lose altitude but I do NOT recommend that as what if you have very little altitude to work with. Push the yoke forward where you decrease your AOA dramatically and you get the air over the wings but you do not need to do it where you are starting to lose altitude.

2. you never want to stall when you are in an uncoordinated turn as that will lead you to a spin and that is never good especially if you are tail heavy.

2 Likes

Hey @TylerShah I don’t want to be THAT guy, but a couple of things mate

you MUST pitch the nose down(this will be extremely important if it’s hot and high (alt airports). There is a difference between slamming the yoke fwd and pitching the nose below the horizon(or of some form)which will be critical to pick up air speed or else you may end up in a secondary stall which I don’t know of many instances where people have recovered from.

Lastly, try you best from not saying things like “notch” go with the number. Ex- flap 1. Flap 2 etc… this will help you in the long run going fwd into your aviation career. No one told me those things.

2 Likes

You should check Air France 447 to see what happens when a pilot pushes the nose of the aircraft up during a stall. 🙂. Learning experience for future pilots too.

That’s all you need to know. Feels like a rollercoaster for a second but isn’t hard to recover in the end. Of course stalls aren’t fun when they occur during normal operations but stall training is always fun in my opinion and experience. :)

Interesting conversation.

At no point has the OP stated what stalling lesson he is doing or have I missed something? The first lesson will be high altitude straight and level stalls unless I’m very much mistaken.

In this case it is very simple, the instructor will cut the power but attempt to maintain altitude with increasing back pressure on the stick/column as the airspeed starts to drop off. As the angle of attack approaches the stall a small lift flap device will set off the stall horn.

Don’t worry! This will seem loud and confusing at first but, then, that is exactly why you are doing it! At this point your instructor will do their best with the yaw to ensure the aircraft is in straight flight. The reasoning behind this should be apparent from your groundschool notes. Slipstream shadowing of the into yaw wing can lead to that wing stalling before the other wing leading to wing drop in incipient spin.

This is very rare in basic training aircraft (predominantly due to a pretty aggressive dihedral for such small aircraft!) although the vast majority are pretty bent!

Your instructor will know this and they will introduce you to a simple, high altitude stall. You should get a ‘perfect’ demonstration of recovery the first time as shown by your sky god instructor! Believe me that it can take a real effort and some gross mishandling to get some of these aircraft to spin. That’s why they are such brilliant training aircraft!

In the ‘old’ days we taught minimum height recovery technique, not sure if it’s still the priority but the importance of it comes later in the syllabus when you come to stall recovery in the circuit.

Speed is king! Without airflow over your wing you ‘ain’t’ going anywhere. Let the nose drop slightly (it will be anyway), allow the airspeed to recover whilst simultaneous applying full power and ensure you roll, if necessary, wings level (puts your lift vector in the most efficient direction!). Once you are out of the stall and your airspeed is building you can bring the nose to the horizon and recover normal flight.

You will do this in various configurations simulating stalling at various points of the circuit pattern. Always remember, speed is king here!!! No bernoullis, no fly!

Most importantly, enjoy the experience. Stalling is an aerodynamic effect that is all. In small basic training aircraft it’s benign, predictable and easy to handle.

We all like to think we are sky gods and that we will never be ‘that guy’ who’s inattention to his/her airspeed on the final turn wanders but, unfortunately, it’s not true and the lessons learnt in stall recovery can save the day.

Have fun.

2 Likes

Don’t eat any food. If you must, eat an apple.
Advanced stalling : don’t eat ANY before hand.

Let’s hope he’s alive, I assume they did it today.

1 Like

A stall isn’t that bad, you can do Aeros and eat beforehand! I had a Maccies before my first attempt at Aeros, I was fine, i’m sure you will be fine doing Stalls :)

Yep! Im alive :)

Much easier than I anticipated, a lot of fun. Thanks for the advice everyone!

3 Likes

Glad you enjoyed it :)

1 Like