Stall for no reason in HAAB

Hello, today a friend had a problem on a flight to Ethiopia, on this flight there was a stall problem in HAAB for some reason the Boeing 777-200LR he was flying entered a stall at 9000 feet MSL approximately 2800 AGL at the time of happened, he reduced the speed to approach the ILS when suddenly the plane loses power and enters a stall, I checked the GS speed 190kts and the normal speed 150kts for landing a boeing 777LR.

The question is: Why did this plane enter a stall if it was light, flaps extended and landing speed 150kts and landing gear lowered approximately 2,800 feet from the ground “agl”?

Device: iPhone 8 Plus
Operating system: iOS 16

1 Like

There could be a multitude of issues here.

9,000 feet is an extremely high altitude for an airport. With less air at that altitude, more speed is needed. Also, if you’re a heavy aircraft, 150kts may have been way too slow for that kind of altitude and weight.

Hope this clarifies a little.

7 Likes

Do you suggest that this plane land at 200 Kts in HAAB?

AOA ~ Angle of Attack. You can’t have the aircraft at a high AoA on approach until Touchdown. That is the problem. Now depending on the runway in use at the time (lately from what I’ve seen is 07R) you won’t have ILS to assist, but you’ll have to do what you can to keep that nose down even if it means setting your altitudes at the waypoints higher to prevent stall.

2 Likes

I would say 200kts might be a little bit on the fast side. I would suggest somewhere around 170-185kts.

2 Likes

Because as far as I saw in the replay the plane was flying normally at 200 kts

How much airplane load is your plane on

1 Like

In fact the plane was already tilting reaching 180kts

What’s the weight of the aircraft?

1 Like

Not an exact value but expect between 30-20% Load maybe but not too heavy

As @chazdawg8819 pointed out, AoA is a red flag along with the high airport altitude. Interesting as far as the density altitude, the OAT is quite low (which should be in your favour). Edit: but in fact, even with the cold temperature, the issue is still excessively high-density altitude for your weight.

The clear warning sign for the density altitude hazard is in your third screen shot. AoA is the angle between your nose marker and the FPV. It’s like 12 or 13 degrees! Need to increase speed!

And divert if you can’t maintain a reasonable GS for the IAS needed to keep AoA in a safe range.

5 Likes

I had this very issue aswell in the 777-200LR in HAAB.

Below 150kts-ish the stall horn went off.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your attention! @adit @chazdawg8819

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.