Spotting the International Space Station!

The International Space Station (ISS) is the third brightest object in the sky if flying over you. Sometimes you can only see it for a minute or even up to 6 minutes! Here is the ISS flying over Washington DC Friday night.

It’s obvious hard to get a good shot of it as it’s so small, moving at 17,500 mph or 28,000 km. To find when the ISS flies over your home town click the link below to find spotting opportunities.

30 Likes

Maybe try to use a telescope? idk, it seems way too fast

Jetphotos quality right here

Seriously though, probably the most interesting spotting topic I’ve seen in a while, nice job!

2 Likes

This is a cool video. It’s very challenging even with a telescope.

9 Likes

Thanks for the kind words!

1 Like

that a super fancy telescope that is made for astrogazing. With a regular setup you get very low quality

I understand that. The point I was trying to make is that in any form of identification of seeing is challenging.

1 Like

It’s definitely cool to see stuff in space fly over. Crazy to think how big that thing is and it’s just wizzing around the earth every 90 mins. The starlink train right after launch is pretty cool if you can catch that.

1 Like

If lucky on a clear night I can see the launches from Wallops Island for about 30 seconds.

Very fortunate to see station for a second consecutive night!

Love seeing the ISS fly by! Crazy to thing there’s actually people just chilling up there🤯

Second spotting of the night! Much farther north on this pass by put still got pictures!

20210515_204719

Just spotted it around 20 min ago! Lucky to have it fly right over!

1 Like

Here was its trajectory.

Please continue the conversation here so everyone can post pictures. This topic is being flagged for closure.

That’s so cool! I’ll keep an eye out to see if I can see it with my own eyes one of these days!

OP flagged for closure