Spotting @ SFO 8/2/17

A series of long exposure shots from when I went to go spotting at SFO yesterday. Each exposure is 30 seconds in length, captured at 80mm roughly. Really helps to show how each and every departure from the 01’s is unique.

New control tower with terminal 1 pier C just below.

45 Likes

Just wow. Awesome pictures!

7 Likes

Great long exposures! You can get some good ones on top of the parking garages as well.

5 Likes

West Field parking garage is great, just getting there is a little iffy…one day when I have enough will to do it, I shall go. The international parking garages are really nice though for getting shots of air side piers A and G.

1 Like

Really nice pictures!
I’d love to see more in the future. :)

3 Likes

Thanks, I’m saving up for a Tamron 150-600mm, which will give me sharper images at higher focal lengths (SFO is a focal length heavy location) so hopefully the ones in the future will be a lot clearer. :)

1 Like

Wow! I’m amazed at these! Can you teach me how to take exposure shots?

2 Likes

Thanks! And for sure, I can pm you a tutorial, or I could create a new topic where I cover the whole process :)

1 Like

But you would have the best Spotting photos I’ve seen

2 Likes

I can do it right now for you, in a simple two-step process.

1. Put you camera on a tripod or a sturdy base so the camera will not move.

2. Change the shutter speed as you wish.

And bam, now you are taking long exposures shots. You any need to adjust ISO and apature as need.
This cannot be done on iPhone. It can on Samsung and most if not all cameras.

5 Likes

Woah, these are some simply simply stunning images that you have captured.

2 Likes

So this will be a lengthy read. You can always supplement this with tutorials online of course.

What you need: a DSLR Camera, and a tripod.

Steps:

1. Mount your camera to the tripod and set it up so that it’s stable. Exposures rely on good work holding, so make sure the set up is firm and level.

2. Set the camera shooting mode to manual. This gives you complete control over shutter speed, aperture, and ISO, the three things you will need to manually calibrate to get the shot.

3. Set your shutter speed to 20 - 30 seconds for a long exposure. Shutter speed refers to how long the shutter is open for allowing light to enter the lens. This is what causes lights to “star” and for moving objects to become blurs or light streaks.

4. Adjust the ISO and aperture accordingly, it takes a bit of fiddling, but with practice it will be come very quick. The way you know the ISO, Aperture, and Shutter Speed are calibrated correctly is if when looking through the lens, at the bottom where the HUD is, the + - bar is centered:

5. Manually focus the shot by setting the focus mode on your lens to manual, and turning the tip of the lens until the image becomes focused. This may take several attempts to get right, so adjust accordingly.

6. Press the shutter release button and you’re all set :).

6 Likes

Excellent long exposures!Keep it up!

1 Like

Check my guide! Go under ‘Different modes on your camera’

1 Like

Some great pictures! Keep up the amazing work!!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.