Spotting From The Control Tower : Edition 5

Welcome everyone to the next edition of Spotting From The Control Tower! I have exciting promotion news and a success stories that I don’t want to miss out on. I will let Joshua Smithy brake the exciting news for the first half of this post. Plus I have a few words from both of the newly promoted people that you will find out more as you continue your read.

Then we have a controlling success story at New Orland’s brought to you by @Sashaz55 who has been an amazing edition to the IFATC team.

To conclude this blog post I have something exciting for you to see coming this weekend on Sunday 10:00Z more will be revealed in a moment.

Please note that this screenshot was approved by @JoshFly8 before posting thank you for your understanding.

“I was very surprised to wake up to a message inviting me to the training team. I’ve been in IFATC for more than 3 years and just kept doing my best to control the expert server, and just having fun. Never would I have thought that this dedication would get me to where I am today. I’d like to thank Luke M for helping me complete my radar training! It’s amazing to see my journey from a junior grade 1 pilot in 2016, now to a ATC trainer in 2020! I’m excited to help others pursue their IFATC dreams.” - @Panther

“If I’m being completely honest, the question of “if I’d like to become a trainer” was a complete surprise! It sure was a good feeling when I was asked though! Who wouldn’t say “yes!” to such an amazing opportunity? It’s a great feeling to now be one, helping people gives off an amazing feeling.” - @Adam_S

I was originally controlling Ground at MSY and I had the opportunity to take G and T. At the time I had just 4 aircraft on Ground and Approach was active. I took over Ground, Tower, and ATIS, when that happened I got swarmed with over 26 messages from aircraft that had just switched over from approach. At first I was shocked, I asked where Approach had gone and I was told they were closing once the previous Tower controller switched. At that moment, I realized I was on my own. I began looking at the Aircraft on final, luckily some of them had received and ILS approach clearance which meant I only had to clear them to land. I then worked my way back up the line, there was some reminiscent of the Approach controllers tactic to vector aircraft in. I could see a faint S of Aircraft. I began giving pattern entry’s and sequences, at the same time I had to make sure aircraft weren’t to close together, I utilized speed commands as well as 360s, I also used the “I’ll call your base command” this was a lifesaver, it allowed me to make a spot for an aircraft that wasn’t going to fit into the line. Unfortunately I did have to deny some people and at the same time go and check the Ground frequency. I stayed calm and powered through, I also used a breathing technique which calms you down, (You can PM me if you would like it). I had a glass of water next to me and just tried to do my best while controlling, the end result was that it actually worked. I wasn’t expecting a topic being made about it, but someone did. It made me feel very good after a long, tiring, and hard session. I didn’t control the rest of the day as it made me super tired, I want to thank all of the pilots who were patient with me that day, thanks a lot!

Photo credits: @Thunderbolt 📸

Make sure your following my website to find out the latest! In fact your in with NEWS! I’m going live with @Chris_Hoss , @Aaron.C , @Adam_S and @ThomasR on Sunday 10:00Z!! If you click on the website above you can find out more on how to join in on the action to hear their stories! We will also being doing a Q&A so please make sure you submit your questions here!

Who’s excited!? Where 10 is being awesome!!

0 voters

35 Likes

Nice one Joshua!

1 Like

Thank you very much @TheAviationGallery :)

1 Like

Love the concept!

2 Likes

Love seeing what’s going in IFATC, big up to Sasha for handling the traffic, must have been a nightmare!

2 Likes

Yh those situation’s are difficult but if you keep a positive mindset and do what your taught from the beginning everything slots into place. It’s even inspired me as a controller.

2 Likes

These are amazing!

@Sashaz55 that sounds so hard but I am sure it was great fun :)

1 Like

Thank you very much indeed @Luke_King-kong 😊

It was super fun to be a part of this!

2 Likes

Very pleased to her that @Sashaz55 thank you for taking part 😊

1 Like

Amazing as always! 👏

2 Likes

Thanks @Omar_Alqinneh as always 💛 Make sure you come to the podcast and submit a question 😊

2 Likes

Congratulations again, Adam & David!!

4 Likes

I get excited every time a new one of these come!!

amazing job!

2 Likes

Thank you very much indeed @VulicityHD :)

1 Like

Cool thread and interesting stories, thanks Joshua. ;)

2 Likes

Congratulations @Sashaz55 for that amazing session at KMSY! It certainly isn’t easy to start controlling immediately after you’ve been added to the team but you handled it perfectly. Keep it up!

2 Likes

Why does the podcast have to be at 4am local time 😔

Great stuff as always, Joshua!

1 Like

Just joined the discord group! Looks very nice!

1 Like

Thank you and just to let you all know the time has changed to 12:00z due to something coming up with someone joining us on the podcast. Should be great fun and it’s a first podcast and hopefully everything runs smoothly.

3 Likes