Spotting camera and lenses suggestions

Hey IFC!

When this whole COVID-19 is over, I’m going to go plane spotting at EHAM or EHRD a lot. I’ve never had a camera before, but do understand a lot of the basics.
I would like a good planespotting camera with great image quality and maybe even video for spotting planes from 400€ and 700€ including a decent lens.

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

For 400€ you could but yourself the super high quality, best camera in the universe Galaxy S8.

If you want my honest opinion though, I’m that last person you should get camera advice from. :P

1 Like

Thanks for stopping by though!

1 Like

Hi! I have a canon rebel t6 and love it. You could find a brand new one with a whole camera kit for $459 USD. Here’s a link to the one I have on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0764HSG9N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_KTKJEbMQCTKY3
Also, here’s some pics I’ve taken with it.

Let me know if you have any questions :)

1 Like

Spending some time browsing through this topic might help you out. It has some useful information about pretty much everything regarding plane spotting.

-Moosehead

Edit:
@Rian_OShea, though this first thread might be a bit cumbersome to read through, this too has some insight into camera gear and whatnot for spotting.

On another note, this topic below contains some easy to digest bits about starting out with spotting.

During this whole corona deal if you have some free time these threads are worth the read, but if you’d like something quick I suggest going through the 10 Mistakes of New Spotters thread first.

4 Likes

Hey! Thanks very much for the reply. I see this camera was released a while back, do you think I should go for this one or just directly go for an upgraded version?

I have this model and it works great, however since it’s on the lower side of your budget, you could probably try the Canon EOS Rebel T7.
Here’s a link to that one

1 Like

If you are willing to go on the higher end of your budget, I would recommend the Nikon D5600. It’s a great camera with plenty of room to grow into. Here’s a link to one if you want to check it out.

And here are some sample shots!

It is a very well rounded camera. I own it myself and if you have any questions, PM me.

1 Like

Thank you for this link its a great deal and I might get it.

2 Likes

Pm me if you have any questions regarding spotting.

1 Like

Oh, and as for a lens, I would recommend either the Tamron 70-300mm or the Sigma 70-300mm. Both are very good and sharp.

1 Like

I have a Nixon COOLPIX B500, it does a good job in clear daylight and very close up or in cloudy conditions short and medium range, but when it’s a hot day with heat rays or at night its not the best. Night shots are impossible for Sydney Beach Spotting with this camera.

At the moment its does fine just not as many good shots coming through because of me and sometimes the camera. I defiently will replace soon, but currently upgrading my PC for X-Plane and starting my Aircraft Model Collection.

Some Examples of my Favorite Photo’s:

So maybe avoid this camera as I am already looking for an upgrade later this year.

2 Likes

Don’t get a point and shoot, get a DSLR. Some newer Rebel (T6 and onward) with a EF-S 55-250 IS STM should be good, or a D34/3500 which an AF-P 70-300 VR DX if you want Nikon. Neither is great at video but Canons are normally better.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply! I just want a camera for photos so that’s fine. I think I’m going to get a canon Rebe; t7

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I’d recommend. I have a T6 too, and it’s a great first real camera. It certainly lets you grow, but won’t break the bank. If I’d have one suggestion it’s that if you can find a just body, or one not in a kit with the 75-300 (or if you want both with it) get the 55-250 instead. You’ll lose a little bit of reach, but gain that back ten fold in image quality. A 55-250 does cost more, and don’t get me wrong the 75-300 is fine to start, but you’ll find yourself wanting an upgrade fairly quick because the 75-300 is frankly just not that sharp…

2 Likes

Hello! So now I have decided which camera to take (canon rebel t6 or t7), I want to know what zoom lens to purchase.

• 75-300mm lens
  • 55-250mm lens
  • other

0 voters

I recommend 55-250. For spotting, you don’t really need a 300mm lens unless you’re doing high-altitude spotting. At the same time you might as well (in most cases) waste less money.

1 Like

Alright! Do you know the limits of the lens e.g how far it zooms?

I heard that the 55-250mm has stabilisation?

I use a Canon EOS 600D (only for pictures) with a standard lens and a Nikon Coolpix P900 (for videos + pictures).

Canon EOS 600D:

https://www.canon.nl/for_home/product_finder/cameras/digital_slr/eos_600d/

Nikon Coolpix P900:

1 Like