Spotting at Santiago Arturo Merino Benitez Int'l, Volume II

Hi.

Today in the morning, I headed to the international airport that is closest to me, Santiago Arturo Merino Benitez International (SCL/SCEL). This was my second ever time spotting, my first one being back in July (I made this topic about it). If you still remember that topic, you might recall that the pictures were absolutely, horrifyingly awful. Unfortunately, this hasn’t changed. They are still pretty terrible pictures. However, I think it is a significant improvement.
I arrived at the end of runway 17L, the only runway in use for the whole morning, at about 8:45. I left at 11:10. My intent was to catch virtually every single heavy coming into the airport. Unfortunately, I did not catch a few; The Delta 767, the Lufthansa Cargo MD-11, and the most painful of all, the delayed KLM 777 PH-BVA. However, I got a few surprises so I guess it was all good in the end.
I’m going to go ahead and remind you that if you’re in a larger screen, you can click the photo to get the full resolution (though I warn you - it’s still pretty bad resolution). Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Ethiopian Cargo Boeing 777F coming in from Campinas, Brazil. An aircraft I did not expect to see this morning.

IMG_3537

LATAM 787-9 lining up about to depart to Sao Paulo.

Alitalia 777-200ER landing from Rome.

Avianca 787-8 coming in ultra late, like always.

Two Latam Chile aircraft holding short of the runway, one on the new livery and one in the old one.

American Airlines Boeing 787-8 from Dallas-Fort-Worth.

IMG_3571

IMG_3573

American Airlines 777-200ER from Miami, landing only 3 minutes after the 787.

LAN 787-9 from Madrid.

IMG_3582

IMG_3583

Iberia A340-600 from Madrid, only 3 minutes after the LAN coming from Madrid.

IMG_3593

IMG_3595

The mighty engine and nose of the LATAM 787-8 bound for Lima.

IMG_3603

The tail of a LAN A320.

Aerolineas Argentinas 737-800 from Buenos Aires.

LAW 737-300 lining up.

CC-BBH bound for Easter Island lining up.

United 767-300ER from Houston.

Double LAN.

Yet another LAN 787-9, this time bound for Cancun.

Blank 747-400F from Buenos Aires, Ezeiza.

Real life or Infinite Flight?

LAN A320 starting the takeoff roll as a Sky A319 is taxiing to the runway.

Air France 777-300ER from Paris Charles De Gaulle.

LATAM 787-9 from Madrid via Sao Paulo.

KLM Cargo 747-400F from Campinas.

Sky A319 from Calama flying overhead, landing on runway 17L.

The apron and control tower.

IMG_3679

IMG_3681

The same Ethiopian Cargo 777F taking off.

EDIT: I just learned that this aircraft departed back to São Paulo Guarulhos, probably as a stopover for a flight to Africa.

So, that’s it.
In case you want to take a look at some of my pictures of a specific aircraft, a specific angle, etc, don’t even hesitate to ask for it. Trust me, I have tons of pictures. About 140, in fact.
If you have any question, just comment on this thread. I will reply as best I can.

So tell me, which was your favorite? Your least favorite?

Thanks!

18 Likes

Some seriously amazing pictures. Not kidding. They’ll look beast with some editing. All the best for future spotting!

2 Likes

I think you might be exaggerating. And also I am not a big fan of editing, partly because I think it looks unnatural and partly because I don’t know how to do it. Thanks anyway!

1 Like

Beautiful shots. I never knew Ethiopian flew 777Fs to Santiago😱

3 Likes

Me neither. I only noticed I was going to be able to photograph it when I checked Flightradar24 after waking up in the morning. It’s a lovely livery though, so I’ll take it any day of the week!

3 Likes

Haha. Makes sense. Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

You call that terrible…you should see my “photography”. Beautiful pictures! And boy is Santiago some serious 787 heaven!!!

3 Likes

Thats from my city! I’ve spotted it before. Here is a picture from when it was 4 hours late to depart:

3 Likes

Puchaaaa deberia ir a spottear cuando vaya a visitar a la familia… Ok now o everyone can understand haha. Normally the Iberia and Lan aircraft arrive and depart at the same time. Something funny to see on FR24. Great pics, and btw If you need any help with editing give me a touch ;)

Greetings,
Lorenzo

4 Likes

is there an observation deck at Houston?

Greetings,
Lorenzo

2 Likes

Yes. We have parking garages. Garage C and D are my favorites. Here are a few pictures from there:

(My pictures of course)

5 Likes

You dont like night spotting at all hahah look great! Had already seen some from your insta tho ;)

Greetings,
Lorenzo

2 Likes

These pics are stunning, great work

2 Likes

Thank you. I like your spotting pictures too! You get a lot of unique stuff compared to us Americans.

3 Likes

Oh thats what you think tho. MAD is full of ryanair, air europa and of course Iberia. It kinda gets very repetitive. We rarely get any strange aircrafts or airlines ;)

Greetings,
Lorenzo

2 Likes

Well that’s because I intentionally went during the period in which 80% of heavies arrive, with basically no A320s. If you were to go spotting a little later in the day, you’d get bored to death of all the LATAM A320s.

1 Like

Oh I see XD
but atleast you have heavies. My local airport is A320s all day everyday. Literally only a couple widebodies (one 787, two A330, one 744), that too at midnight or dusk, and mostly only seasonal. But I can’t complain, it’s a small airport :)

1 Like

It is a beautiful aircraft.
Luckily it wasn’t so late this time. If on top of the Delta 767 being late, the Lufthansa Cargo MD-11F being late and the KLM Orange Pride Livery 777 being late, I had the UAL 767 late, I would not be happy at all.

Go ahead, it is pretty nice. If you do go, make sure to go during the summer. During the winter the planes arrive earlier, it’s darker, lower visibility and colder temperature.

ehhh… still better than here. I kid you not basically no heavies arrive at SCL after the morning rush hour. That’s why most of the pictures shown here are of heavies, because I went spotting during that rush hour. And yet I have a ton of A320 family pictures that I decided not to post because they are boring. You guys get A380s, 777s, A350s, 787s, etc…

Also, didn’t know you are chilean. That makes us 3. You, @Diegar, and me. Active users at least.

1 Like

My favorites were the set of AAL 787 pictures. The wing flex looks absolutely amazing, a long with the landing smoke.

1 Like