Spotting at LAX Day 3 | 03JUL20

I was supposed to post this almost three weeks ago 😅

Hello again, all! I’m back with the third and final part of my LAX spotting at the beginning of July. Since my last topic (Part 2, see below) I have purchased the upgraded version of Adobe Lightroom - now I can do even better things!

Part 1

Part 2

Equipment

Canon EOS 4000D
Tamron 70-300mm

On to the shots!

Settings: 1/800 F/8.0 ISO 100 @ 300mm

First up is N946JL, a 5 year old jetBlue A321-200 departing off 25R to Boston as B6488.

Settings: 1/800 F/8.0 ISO 100 @ 130mm

Next we have a very heat hazed N512JN, a 27 year old generic Western Global MD-11F arriving from Anchorage as KD7345. This was the only cargo flight to exit this late, and I’m very glad it did.

Third we have B-5937, a 6 year old China Eastern A330-200 departing off to Shenzhen as MU7118. This is the first time I’ve managed to decently capture some cHeMtRaIlS.

Now we have N929VA, a 1 year old Alaska A321neo headed off to Alaska’s Seattle hub as AS881.

Here is one interesting catch - here is N510FR (I think?), a 36 year old Gulfstream III flying for OneFlight.

Settings: 1/800 F/8.0 ISO 100 @ 191mm

Next is a very heat hazed JA873A, a 12 year old 777-300ER departing off to Tokyo Haneda as NH5. Just for you, @ran!

Settings: 1/800 F/8.0 ISO 100 @ 161mm

Hon hon hon baguette plane, a 12 year old 777-300ER known as F-GZNA passing by the iconic LAX tower after arriving from Paris CDG as AF66. Sadly, this bird hasn’t flown since July 19.

Settings: 1/1000 F/8.0 ISO 100 @ 96mm

This shot is one of my personal favorites. I was inspired by @robert_xing after seeing one of his shots from here ( by the way, go follow his Instagram ). It’s not golden hour like his, and it’s a little bit further from the trees, but I’m very proud of this shot and I will definitely be back to this spot. This post has also done the best on my Instagram page.

Settings: 1/1250 F/8.0 ISO 100 @ 109mm

Unfortunately I didn’t have time to catch this outside of the airport, so I had to resort to catching this bird through the terminal windows. It was really difficult to find a spot with no reflections, and I’m really happy about how this came out.

Settings: 1/400 F/8.0 ISO 100 @ 114mm

And to finish it off, here’s the beautiful sunset as the sun disappears behind the mountains. I was originally planning to go to Vista Del Mar for golden hour shots after I was done spotting from my hotel balcony, but I forgot to take the mountains into account and by the time I got there I couldn’t take any shots (of planes) worth keeping. At least I got this shot out of it, though.

Thanks for viewing this topic! The next topic will take us back to my home of DFW where we’ll see some close ups 👀

Please do check out my Instagram page:

https://instagram.com/dfwjets

55 Likes

Great pictures

Damn Altaria, that southwest shot looks straight out of a WN billboard or something, well done!!!

2 Likes

Quite inspirational to start spotting (for me)…don’t you think?

Some absolutely amazing pictures, especially the last three are just really stunning. The Southwest one is such a cool design too!

Thank you very much for sharing your pictures!

Swear you showed us this as f/4.5

1 Like

@Captain_74gear Thanks!

@Suhas Thanks lmao

@Claudio Yessir please get a camera

@JulianB Thanks lol

@AndrewWu Nope would you like to see the EXIF

And here’s the raw BB-8 shot for anyone interested

3 Likes

Fixed my spelling now…

Screen_Shot_2019-01-17_at_4.22.43_PM
Source

JK

Awesome pics as always @Altaria55!

2 Likes

Hahahah lol.

1 Like

One word: wow. Those are absolutely stunning! When I went spotting there around the middle of July I managed to catch the ANA BB-8 Star Wars livery too but you pictured it oh so much better!

Thats Awesome!

Dude the SWA jet with the palm is such a good shot. Love the pics.

I was thinking the same thing!!!

@AviationFreak @Dweeam @Chase_Goldman Thanks guys!

I forgot about this one, nevertheless. Great shots!

Beautiful pictures!

Great Shots!

Nice shots! I just realised I’ve been following you for quite a while now 😅😂

Well done @Altaria55. Amazing pictures