Spotting at CYYZ Day 1! 10-25-18

Hello IFC and fellow spotters,
Last weekend, I went to Toronto to spend four days of plane spotting at Pearson airport with my friend Aaron. I lived in Toronto from 2008-2011, so I have some memories of going to the airport there, but that was before I started aviation photography. I flew in on a Thursday on UA Express, and as soon as I landed, me and Aaron went over to spot landing movements on runway 33L.
Some highlights of the first day were two go-arounds (A Jet Airways B77W and a DL B712), along with some nice heavies that I don’t get back home at BWI. Here are some of my favorite shots:

C-FENU, a WestJet Encore Q400 rotating off of runway 33R

A tiny American Eagle ERJ-145 unaware of the beast following him…

An Air Canada Express Q400 rolling by

N689TA, a Star Alliance A320 owned by Avianca, but registered in the U.S. for some reason…

A Dassault Falcon 900, part of the “Falcon Response” I guess

Air Canada A320 taxiing by

Sharp-looking ACA 787-9, moments away from touching down on runway 23

The eye-catching silhouette of the 737 MAX 8, this one in the new Air Canada livery

Dirty Air France 777-200ER, really could use a wash!

Her Majesty’s the Queen 777-200ER, this 777 looked a lot better than the grimy French one!

Hope everyone enjoyed these pictures! I took nearly 800 total the whole weekend, so it took me a while to pick and edit the best. I have three more sets of photos coming out soon, with lots of heavies included (hint hint)!
Which one of these photos is your favorite?

45 Likes

Can’t wait for the heavies! Can tell they’re going to be great based on these shots

1 Like

Nice shots you got there!

1 Like

Thank you @Guxk and @WestJet737767!

1 Like

Nice shots! Sucks that I couldn’t come up this weekend

2 Likes

That stunning 737 shot was my favourite, I’ve got to get back to CYYZ soon, great shots!

1 Like

Thank you @AndrewWu and @EthanT2!

1 Like

Awesome shots.

2 Likes

Love your shot of the Air Canada B38M. That wing flex is very beautiful. Excellent shots overall ;)

1 Like

The Avianca jet was purchased used in 2013 and subsequently registered in Costa Rica for Avianca’s subsidiary, Avianca Costa Rica.

1 Like

Really nice photos i love them!

1 Like

That is weird, plus, why would an Avianca A320 be up in Canada. Doing some quick research on registry.faa.gov reveals that it is actually owned by Wells Fargo Trust CO NA Trustee, which may be Avianca, but that what the FAA has.
EDIT: More research reveals that this aircraft actually flys for Taca International Airlines, which operates YYZ-SAL for Avianca Costa Rica.

1 Like

Wow. Amazing. Great photos!

1 Like

That Air France B772 needs a shower lol

1 Like

Where can I hang this on my wall?

1 Like

What camera did you use and where did you spot? There’s a parking garage nearby which is popular for planespotting.

1 Like

These are beautiful!

1 Like

I used my Canon EOS Rebel SL1, and yes, I spotted at the parking garage while landings were on runway 23.

1 Like

Where are you taking these photos? You look like you’re in a prime location for runways 33! I usually spot on runway 23 near the Wendy’s at YYZ.

1 Like

The shots taken at 33L were along Britannia Road on the cargo side of the runway (here is a link to the location: [spoiler]Google Maps)
The rest of the shots were taken from the parking garage by runway 23, which is near the Wendy’s there. I actually ate at both Wendy’s at YYZ lol

2 Likes