Spotting A Bunch of New Airlines | Frankfurt, June 12, 2020

Hey there!

Friday was that time again: Moritz got up in the middle of the night for another spotting session. Even though the weather looked gorgeous with some fog patches right over the ground upon sunrise, not at Munich Airport though. Since we wanted to see some traffic, we teamed up for a trip to Frankfurt.

After initially planning to leave at 1.30 am, we eventually postponed our departure since the morning arrivals we were interested in appeared to arrive prior to sunrise. One of the first arrivals we spotted after arriving in Frakfurt at 8.15 was a special already. After quite some time of failed attempts to get it, I finally spotted the last missing CS300 from airBaltic’s flag liveries (and in my eyes the best looking one): YL-CSJ wearing the Estonian flag.

This plane kinda was the smallest one we saw for quite a while since what followed was a long time of wide body arrivals, such as this United 787-10 wearing their new livery.

Shortly after that plane which made quite a long trip from the US, one of the planes we went to Frankfurt for arrived. While we didn’t know for sure if it would be replaced by an A320 or not during our drive, it eventually turned out that we would actually witness the first visit of Aeroflot’s rather new A350 to FRA. For that reason the plane also got a water salute but that one was way too far away to take a picture of it (I actually really dislike FRA for the few spots available and especially for the long distances between yourself and the planes at the departure spots)

Another arrival that’s not as new as a 787-10 or a A350 was this Delta bird arriving from Chicago. While it’s new to IF, Delta will retire their Boeing 777-200s this year.

After these early arrivals we changed our position for the first time to get a shot of some departures. Just like the last time when I was in Frankfurt, we got a special livery based on a manufacturer livery - China Airlines’ A350 wearing the Airbus carbon livery.

A little bit smaller but also new for me was this Cathay Pacific Anadolujet Boeing 737, a subsidiary of Turkish Airlines, departing back to Turkey.

Last year I only got a hazy shot of a Boeing 787 under tow, now I luckily got a proper picture of their nice A350 as well.

While all departures before used runway 07C for departure, this Boeing 777 used 07R making the photo a bit challenging including a little sprint to the south but the result turned out quite impressive since El Al’s 777 “preighter” didn’t climb very fast on it’s departure to Tel Aviv.

Another Boeing, another premiere: While we already saw A350s, A330s and Boeing 777s of Air China in Munich, their 787 hasn’t visited us so far.

Back to the arrivals though, continuing with some normal freighters. This Boeing 747-8 freighter arrived from Amsterdam. Using the Polderbaan, the taxi in Amsterdam likely took as long as the flight to Frankfurt itself.

The next freigther arrived from a way longer flight from Seoul a bit later. Lufthansa Cargo’s Frankfurt based 777F still wearing the old livery.

Another arrival, and yet another airline I haven’t spotted before also came from Asia: Japan Airlines’ Boeing 787 inbound from Tokio was one of the last planes we spotted before leaving again. We actually wanted to spot the departure of South African Airways’ A340-600 on the way to Johannesburg via Moscow but due to technical issues, that departure only happened with a delay of 27h on the day after so we sadly missed the probably last chance to spot that aircraft type of that airline.

I hope you liked this topic once again! Let’s see where I’ll end up next in these days where the traffic in Munich is rather boring. Maybe I can get a Beluga or a KLM 747 sometime soon ;)

My Equipment:

Canon EOS 80D
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM (99% of pics)
Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (for the 1% of the cases where I need a wide angle lens)

You can follow me on twitter and Instagram to get more shots on a daily basis. Also, keep your eyes open on Flightradar24 where you might see some of my recent shots.

Twitter

https://twitter.com/mba_muc

https://www.instagram.com/mba_muc/

My spotting topics on the IFC (sorted by years since this is slowly getting endless)

Spring Spotting 1
Spring Spotting 2 with Lorenzo
Spring Spotting 3 (feat. Hekla Aurora)
August spotting with some sunrise shots
September 30 with quite some special liveries and bizjets
Spotting in Zurich on the way to Cosford
Spotting Laura and more in Birmingham
Spotting in fog with a sunny end

Special planes at Munich - Munich Security Conference feat. E-4B
Valentine’s Spotting 2019 - Civil Traffic around the Munich Security Conference
Retro Time - British Airways BEA A319
First weekend in Innsbruck - Charter Flights in the Alps
Second Innsbruck Spotting Weekend
Bringing Israeli soldiers to Munich - El Al 747
Another visit of ElAl’s queen - El Al 747
Spotting in the Morning Sun - South African Special Livery A340-300
A full day of Spotting
London Calling - Spotting at MUC and LCY on the way to London
London Heathrow Evening Spotting Before the Meetup
London Heathrow Meetup Spotting
Last Day at Heathrow: Landor, Negus and more
Government Jets and New Perspectives at Munich Airport
One Day Spotting Trip to Frankfurt Airport
Spotting Trip to Berlin
A lot of Specials at Munich
Quick after work spotting for a private A340
Another Sunny Spotting Day in Fall
Spotting with a Female closer than 5 miles, so definitely click even though she’s in none of the Pics!!!
Day and Night Shots at Munich
Deicing and more
Condor’s new colors and a big chopper
Stunning Condensations and a Royal 747
Azimuth Superjet and more for the last topic in a decade

Birthday Spotting
The Final EXPO A380
Special Cargos in the Evening
Zurich’s Airline Traffic during the WEF Week
Air Force One Ramp Tour
Air Force One Arriving in Zurich
Heavy Contrasts for Air Malta’s Retro Jet
First Two Days of SiKo - Kuwait A340, Russia Il96
Amazing Security Conference Perspectives feat. Kuwait’s A340 and more
Etihad’s Choose China Livery
Security Conference Final
Trying A New Position for Condor‘s and United‘s New Liveries
Last Specials Prior to the Corona Break
First Spotting Trip After the Corona Restrictions With Some Cargo Specials
50 Years Special Livery on a Rescue Helicopter
Spotting AN-22 in Leipzig
Spotting the Last Departing A340s of Lufthansa
First Visit of Qatar’s OneWorld A350-1000
AN124 and Other Specials in Munich

TL;DR service for @dush19: Actually, I can’t be bothered to continue this any longer but: Planes, Planes, Planes.
@MrMrMan: Look, something new to quote again! You’ll end up in a burnout very soon I fear…
@Marc you’re welcome 😉
@Nathan time to visit this place again

65 Likes

RIP that DL 772. Sad they took them all out of MSP.

4 Likes

Beautiful spots as always!

1 Like

Nice pictures there! Are you sure you didn’t mean “New Airliners”? None of those are new airlines…

2 Likes

Wow, how did you get so many shots of some of my favorite planes/liveries lol?! I love the Estonian flag livery, the Aeroflot, China Airlines Carbon, and Vietnam are some of the best on the A350 in my opinion as well!

1 Like

Truly breathtaking as always

May I ask how you survive?

I think these were new to him, as in he’s never spotted them before.

Great Work @Moritz These photos are stunning!

2 Likes

Oh I see…

1 Like

I guess it’s not everyday you spot United and Delta in Frankfurt lol

Beautiful photos!

1 Like

United and Delta are very usual guests to Frankfurt

As @JarrettFlies pointed out, the “new airlines” was referring to stuff like LH Cargos 777, Vietnam Airlines or JAL

3 Likes

I would like to ask this too, since he probably drove at 250 kph down (up?) the autobahn.

3 Likes

Well, we only got up at 4am in the end haha

Other than that I don’t do these trips on a daily basis so it’s survivable with additional sleep the night after the trip

1 Like

Fantastic shots as usual 🥰

1 Like

Well, up and down haha

And yeah, we were doing more than 200 at some points but I didn’t drive most of the time

1 Like

Well, I guess that was just luck haha but we missed Ehiopian’s A350 in the morning and the delayed SAA 340 which is a bit sad

1 Like

I’ve always pictured FRA to be a heaven of heavies…

Great pictures @Moritz! Hope you enjoyed seeing the United 78X :P

1 Like

i’m not crying… you are

1 Like

Lol the tail is very similiar

1 Like

Awesome pics! 🤩

1 Like