Spirit expands service to San Juan

Spirits Expansion @ San Juan

San Juan’s (Luis Muñoz Marin) Airport is the busiest airport in the entire caribbean. A lot of flight from the US mainland depart and arrive from or to SJU. Well, Spirit Airlines who flies on a daily basis to SJU has added additional routes. Now you may think that after Hurricane Maria hit the Island the airport would have lost business, but actually San Juan is as busy as in it’s prime day’s currently and back to regular times. With Spirits new additional routes to SJU, they pose a nice competition to San Juan’s biggest operator JetBlue. Spirit as a low cost airliner has amazing fares to offer and with these routes they eventually will have SJU as a focus city and start even more routes down the road!

Source of Resource

What are your opinions on this new potential game changer to Spirit?

6 Likes

Pretty exciting news. I take cruises out of San Juan occasionally and always fly JetBlue but I’d like to see what routes they add.

3 Likes

Yea, it is always nice to see your home airport expand. But now my question is, Will JetBlue and Spirit be big competitors for San Juan? That is my question

YES!!!
Finally, more airlines are going to Puerto Rico!

3 Likes

Yes sir! This is a big upgrade to SJU Traffic. They will eventually have more airliners here by 2020 :)

1 Like

Yikes… Folks that fly JBU to SJU will be in for a rude awakening if they fly Spirit. Anyone that i know that’s flown spirit ONLY did it ONCE. Including @Transport_Hub (for his sake hopefully once)

1 Like

Ive flown on Spirit before and their seats are very bad! JetBlue obviously is running away with the competition at SJU they have their own terminal and most of flights are flown by them

2 Likes

This is very exciting news for SJU!! Puerto Rico is in desperate need of more diverse routes through the US and other countries. I’d imagine that the profitability of this route will benefit spirit and the airport as they could see interest in these routes and possibly open up new routes to the airport. Would also be wonderful to see more airlines start service to SJU. I’m more excited now that an English man has announced his interest in starting routes from China to PR…who knows what’s gonna happen next!

1 Like

Fly more to SXM As well! KThanksBai 😘

1 Like

I thought they flew there already but cool
👌

2 Likes

Spirit Airlines recently announced daily service from Tampa to San Juan, which means they’re competing with JetBlue and SWA. They also compete with to other two out of FLL and MCO. This continued growth means that they see opportunity to play a big role in Florida’s Puerto Rican market. Many Spirit flights are very cheap and that itself can give it an edge over JBU and SWA. If you know how to travel and understand the bare fare, Spirit can be a smart option for people.

I do agree that the seats are not the best, but the do hold the youngest fleet in the US. Most of the aircraft you’ll be on will be very clean and well preped. Last time I flew Spirit, the plane I was on was 2 weeks old!

3 Likes

I agree with you same! Now do you think Spirit posses a threat to JetBlue as a competetor or JetBlue is running away with this?

1 Like

Yea the Carribean in general is very slept on! There are places like SXM to that should recieve more traffic

2 Likes

I believe that it will remain fairly even. Spirit will always attract those just looking to fly, but JetBlue might have an entire different crowd.

1 Like

Theh do fly there already but they have added more routes to compete :)

1 Like

Oh boy do I agree. There are diverse range of airliners that ive heard want to begin service to SJU! Imagine they had begun their international service aready in like a month after Maria so the airport has really managed to keep up to standards and even more!

1 Like

Now would you say considering that JetBlue already is big in San Juan it wont be that hard for Spirit to reach that level?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.