Spirit Airlines and Frontier Agree to Merge. Creating the 5th biggest airline in the U.S

Frontier and Spirit Merger Announced

Source

Frontier Airlines and Spirit have announced a merger which will bring the two airlines together.

We currently do not know the name of the new merged carrier but that is yet to be found out when the deal is closed. This deal is worth a staggering $6.6 Billion.

This deal will then create the 5th largest airline in the U.S and will see Frontier control 51.5% of the majority stake whilst the rest of it being controlled by Spirit Airlines. This deal is set around creating an extremely competitive low cost carrier which will introduce numerous things such as more jobs, routes and possibly more income.

The company didn’t announce where the new headquarters will be or who the new CEO is. We are set to find that all out when the deal is closed. All Labor parties were informed of the descision but Spirit and Frontier pilots are represented by the same labor group and so are both the airlines flight attendants.

It is a deal that comes as both of the airlines are struggling to recover from the pandemic.

These two airlines merging will bring the following:

Source

It will also be interesting to see maintenance going ahead as right now Spirit and Frontier use different engines on their A320ceos. But going forward with the NEO aircraft they will use the same engines. No doubt it will add maintenance cost but it won’t be for an extremely long amount of time.

This is a interesting deal. I am looking forward to seeing these airlines come together in the future to see what will happen in the low cost market.

If you want to read up more on this deal then here are some articles:

48 Likes

its 2 months from April 1st

2 Likes

This is interesting

I was actually writing a post about this also and then saw that you posted it while I was writing it

2 Likes

Huh, never though I’d live to see a merger like this. This is very interesting indeed…

5 Likes

Yeah, I thought we’d see Southwest buy out Alaska before Frontier buys out Spirit

6 Likes

Me too. I wonder what Southwest thinks of this.

1 Like

This particularly is very interesting. Spirit operates the IAEs, whereas Frontier operates the CFMs on the ceos. But Frontier and Spirit both operate the P&Ws and Leaps for the NEO, so engine variation shouldn’t be a problem in the future when the ceos are phased out.

I predict $18+ a share of Frontier Holdings today… Might be a good long-term investment.

1 Like

A match made in heaven. They’re basically the same airline anyways!

2 Likes

For the NEO’s it is fine but for the CEO’s currently a bit of a awkward situation and no doubt will add a bit of maintenance cost. But like you said with the ceos being phased out and them both moving forward with the NEO’s it would clear that up.

1 Like

But, but, what about Chocolate the Moose? Jo Jo the Grizzly Bear? Cortez the Green Turtle? 🥺

2 Likes

It would be stupid of them to keep the spirit brand, since spirit has more of a known bad reputation

3 Likes

I kind of saw this coming. Once frontier added 13 routes to FLL, spirits biggest hub, it made me wonder “why?” Because no airline ever adds that many routes to a new airport. This makes sense, and the fact that a lot of the routes are to non-spirit destinations actually makes sense now.

But I didn’t see something this “impactful” coming per se. More of a “buyout.”

1 Like

Wow this is surprising! It’s going to be interesting to see how they’re going to rename it and such

2 Likes

It appeared from the visual that they posted, most routes will remain in the network of both airlines. 650 routes is seriously impressive.

5 Likes

Yeah but they also did that at midway and hobby but still, it makes sense. This is still crazy to me and I’m praying JAX doesn’t get cut.

1 Like

Sick and tired of mergers, it usually lead to job losses and less competition
Airlines should manage their own businesses rather off shooting & solving a problem with mergers.
We all know who benefit from mergers.

2 Likes

Who? Genuinely curious.

1 Like

Also Spirit’s 30 route entrance into MIA. I’m just praying that GRR stills sees service after the merger, we almost lost Southwest after the Air Tran merger back in 2012. Should be interesting to see how this all plays out, can’t wait!

pls no no no
I love spirit…I wish spirit would have bought frontier… At least can we keep the banana bus ???

this is gonna be interesting though…

The stakeholders ofc!