Speeds and Altitudes for the C-130

Hello, I got the C-130H yesterday and I love it! But one of the things I want to with it is pretend I’m dropping cargo and Parachuters. What are the proper speeds and altitudes for these?

1 Like

I fly at aprox 1000 feet at like 150 knots

2 Likes

500ft at aroun 160KN, that’s what I do

2 Likes
3 Likes

It’s good, but unfortunately it doesn’t say anything about parachute jumping:-(

1 Like

Much much too low. Minumum altitiude for non static jumpers is 3000ft, static is 700ft

1 Like

Well on videos you see almost no flaps during higher altitude droppings.
So since flaps 50 is for 180 kts, it must be going faster.
Or is this illogical?

1 Like

Found this:
“normal para drop speed is 125kts whether ramp or door extraction. Speed limit with para doors open is 250kts, 150 while opening (and 150 for the ramp).”

3 Likes

Really? Didn’t know that…

2 Likes

I believe static line drops are lower than that. Don’t want airborne troops exposed in the air any longer than necessary. More like 750’ AGL

2 Likes

You can fly at 2 feet AGL and at 100 knots

2 Likes

Not 100, the plane goes out of control at that speed.

2 Likes

Not if you know how to control it :)

1 Like

I downloaded and saved the image in Mark’s information topic so I can quickly refer to it when needed.

1 Like

Limits for paradrop doors and ramp open are 150 kts IAS (from the C-130T operating handbook, which is the naval equivalent of -H).

175 IAS maximum for landing gear in the ‘down’ position

2 Likes

I’m not sure about speed, but I recall Vietnam stories of a static jump from 700’ AGL. For non-static…well, certainly higher.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.