Speed violation from tailwind

I was doing a flight from PANC to KMEM and after I finished the flight I realised I had a violation. Apparently the tailwind pushed me all the way up from mach 0.85 to over 0.90 (to 0.91) and now I’m just wondering whether anyone else has experienced this.

1 Like

I almost had this happen to me. If you see this happening lower the speed.

1 Like

I was at 0.85. And it went up while I was away. I’ll try and keep an eye next time.

1 Like

Oh, my mistake, I thought you said you were cruising at mach 0.90. I’m a bit surprised that you said that it got above 0.89/90 with tailwinds… as this really shouldn’t happen because the AP will correct the aircraft’s speed to maintain the set mach you desire. I would check over your replay once more if you haven’t already, then, if you’re sure it wasn’t your fault, you can contact @moderators and they’ll take a look to see if it was a bug, or the users fault.

2 Likes

Your best bet is to contact @appeals with your replay.

However, tailwinds should normally not increase your speed that much… Are you 100% sure you were at .85?

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure this is a level 1 violation which can’t be handled by appeals

2 Likes

It can be, if there is a valid reason.

Edit: I think you mean it should be sent to @moderators, you could, they are basically the same people with a different group name. I said appeals as it is specifically focused on violations.

Keep an eye on the wind direction and knts must of been a strong tailwind at 0.85 to take you over

Normally, tailwinds should not affect your IAS but it will affect your GS. I’m pretty sure violations are given when you are over a certain IAS, so not sure how this happened.

Are you sure it was the wind that pushed the speed up?

3 Likes

Yeah. I’d have shared the replay but I’m the type that likes decluttering my replay section so I deleted it. But no worries… I can keep the violation :)

1 Like

Yeah, unfortunately if you have no replay to provide, there is nothing that can be done about it. I apologize for the inconvenience!

3 Likes

Level 1 violations - Violations from system, for actions from PILOT, it cannot be removed…
Also, u just need some time, do some flights and landings, and ure grade will be returned!
Please read this: Violation System
Regards, Shafran.

1 Like

Your Mach speed is in not influenced by the winds. A tailwind will only increase your ground speed. Are you sure it was the winds?

6 Likes

I find it extremely unlikely that you were pushed up 20-30kts (around M0.06) with just winds.

1 Like

I wouldn’t find it that surprising if you’re being pushed with around 180knts of cross/tailwind.

2 Likes

If you didn’t have autothrottle on, this is theoretically possible with a HEADwind. A tailwind would actually serve to decrease your airspeed. However, cruising without autothrottle on would be pilot error and therefore cannot be reversed. Just learn from it, brush it off, and keep flying.

2 Likes

Mach is airspeed, winds influence ground speed. With auto throttle engaged, it is impossible for winds to change your airspeed.

3 Likes

Unless it was a game bug and the winds jumped immediately from like 30 to 100 knots, your airspeed would definitely feel it. However, it would have to be a headwind because as Cameron mentioned above the tailwind wouldn’t immediately increase your GS, just decrease your IAS.

4 Likes

What aircraft?
Anyways you should send a replay, we should be able to hear engine sounds changing if something happened with the wind, or if the aircraft can’t slow down fast enough due to a sudden wind change.

in all honesty I dont see how that’s possible? IAS and TAS shouldnt change no matter the winds. Only ground speed…

1 Like