Speed violation caused by rapid changing wind direction

When on approach to LFPG today the winds bgan to suddenly change direction causing an overspeed violation. I noticed the speed increasing at 257 around 9000ft altitude, I then reacted by extending spoilers and then leveling off but my speed continued to increase to 267kts. Back in August I reported a strange and sudden overspeed in level flight at cruise. I believe this is what caused it. What happens is that the wind begins to rapidly change direction which results in a headwind that at higher altitudes drastically overspeeds your aircraft.

I will be editing picture in to show the chain of events. mainly to show how drastically the wind direction changes in a single minute

As you can see the wind changes in a near 360 degree direction back to where it originally started at a rate of around 30 degrees every minute. Even after having leveled out The speed was still increasing from 266kts to 268kts even with flight spoilers deployed and engine thrust at idle.

Staff can even check the flight for more data if needed to troubleshoot this glitch.

Username: USA007
Callsign: AFKLM007 Heavy

This is the reported wind direction at FL100 from windy.com

1 Like

It would be interesting to see the pressure in the area as the weather changed. If the pressure suddenly increased as the weather updated, your airspeed would jump up as well.

It looks like the wind matches up with what you’re saying. A change in pressure with the wind could just act as a mean double whammy.

Yeah unfortunately you cant see a change in pressure in the instruments at it is set constantly at 29.92 in the status bar. But I looked up what was showing as pressure over France and that area is showing constant pressure.

1 Like

Why would you fly at 250 knots though below 10,000ft? I always use 240 and below, this is the exact reason why, it prevents any sudden overspeeds

16 Likes

It doesnt the overspeed warning only sets off at 260kt below FL100 there is a buffer. Considering that even IRL commercial aircraft are passing through FL100 on descent at 250kts and many many STAR have crossings of 250kts doesnt support your claim that 240 is the “safe” descent speed below FL100.

2 Likes

That is correct, your autopilot was set to 250 which would have caused a violation anyway from what I know.

I’m aware of the buffer, my point is that I thought you would be aware of any sudden changes in wind and fly at 240 knots. As far as I’m concerned this is not an actual issue as your speed can increase depending on wind changes, sudden or progressive. Flying at 240 knots should prevent any further issues, if you don’t agree then by all means await more help, just my opinion.

2 Likes

No need to be rude… I said what I thought to be correct and I was wrong, it happens.

if there is weather were you are flying, seeing winds go from a headwind to a tailwind and vice versa is not uncommon. thats called windshear. you could have passed throught a weather front causing this to change.

Yeah, no. Let’s skip that attitude.

There is a margin of error as you say, 10kts in this case. The official rule is 250kts but we don’t apply any violations up until 260kts for a bunch of reasons. This being one of them, winds can shift pretty rapidly. From the moment you get the warning, you have 20 seconds to slow down before any violations are given. Should be more than enough.

This is not directly aimed to you, but stop licking the barber pole all the time. Things like this happens when you do.

22 Likes

Just to note @Chatta290,

This is something that we’ve been exploring for awhile now. As @anon2063420 said, this happened previously in a situation where we were able to provide proof of the action happening, but not a why.

I dont think he’s trying to get anything reversed (or even saying that he got violations), just that there is clearly an issue that causes this.

We’ve all had flights where we get violations because of something out of our control. Maybe this could fix some of those if it was found what did cause it.

I think that is what @anon2063420 is trying to say here, unfortunately the triggered reaction was high in this thread. let’s refocus on the issue than what was going on

5 Likes

It’s in the headline… And i’d say the main issue is what people is saying is the attitude. Calling people unintelligent in post #3 is does not relay a very appropriate tone.

Regarding the issue - the screenshots isn’t really saying anything I’m afraid. This is something that would need to be screenrecorded to be able to best understand what’s going on. Because just by looking that screenshots, i don’t. I get what the post is saying, but i don’t see it in the screenshots.

5 Likes

Look at the wind direction and the flight time showing. 30-50 degrees of wind direction change inaround a minute

I was under the impression that the overspeed violations were targeted at IAS which in my observations isn’t effected by wind. Am I wrong?

Yes, i see that but i don’t see anything strange about it either.
You have to take accuracy into consideration. Winds can change fast between one area to the other.

Our wind measurements aren’t down to the centimeter accurate, nothing is except for perhaps real life measurements on the spot. Windy as you yourself used an example, can provide 5km accuracy at best. Default for them is 9km. This leaves a pretty big margin for error. Then take METAR’s into account, which i suspect is what happened to you in this case when descending. Winds aloft reported one thing in a certain area, then you came across a METAR that reported something different.

1 Like

I fly 155 knots let’s just say there’s not much room for caution.

I’m going off what he was saying in our slack (not 100%, as he left now). Him and i both witnessed this happen in the fall and couldn’t find proof.

Just saying it’s something worth looking into.

Happens to me all the time. I will takeoff, set everything, and I am good to go. I go to bed and wake up the next morning. I have 20 speed violations. Lol. Learned my lesson

Speed limits are there for one specific reason: making the game more usable and close to reality. Regardless of the change of wind, always flying at the limit of the violation is not a good thing. A cautious pilot avoids this by flying with 10-20 knots of security.

1 Like

I beg to differ.

Only in IF. This probably is a bug and that’s why we have to do what you say in order to not take risks. In the real world, there’s no bug except instrument error. If I got vios too I’d be pissed.

1 Like