Speed Tape!

I AM SURE YOU HAVE ALL SEEN THIS PHOTO:

Source: https://yourmileagemayvary.net/2019/07/19/they-fixed-a-plane-with-duct-tape-why-is-this-ok/

Now what he is doing may seem crazy and insane. But, it is actually a normal procedure done by mechanics such as the one in the photo.

No, it is not duct tape, but it is a special kind of tape.

Speed tape (Such as the tape seen in the photo) is an aluminum, pressure-sensitive tape that is primarily used on aircraft to creat minor repairs such as a small opening in the wing or on the non-critical part of the aircraft. Speed tape is UV light and temperature-sensitive. Meaning it can withstand the extremely cold temperature it may experience on an aircraft that exceeds altitudes such as 10-20 thousand feet. It can also survive high speeds hence the name, speed tape.

Speed tape is also notably known for reducing drag factors with cracks and holes, so it can make for some fuel-efficient advantages.

The use of speed tape has to be authorized by engineering teams and comply with certain requirements. Fines can be levied against airlines that use it to make improper repairs or that use it incorrectly.

Fun Fact:
Speed tape is used to repair gunshot holes through military aircraft! Also, in the Vietnam war, regular duct tape was used to repair holes in the helicopter blades!

Source:

Here are some photos of speed tape:

Image source: https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/cbjzl/get_me_off_this_plane/

Image source: https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/06/would-you-fly-in-this-plane-fixed-with-tape/

DO NOT FRET! SPEED TAPE IS APPROVED AND CERTIFIED BY THE FAA AND ONLY MAKES TRAVEL SAFER. SO DONT WORRY WHEN YOU SEE THIS ON YOUR NEXT FLIGHT!

34 Likes

Speed tape feels really heavy and strong when you hold it (I’ve held it before)

6 Likes

So I guess I shouldn’t have been scared when Speed Tape was the only thing holding the tail of the 777 I flew on together. 🤦‍♂️

5 Likes

I can imagine how heavy it is especially since it is pure aluminum lol

2 Likes

Haha, I’ve picked up speed tape in real life, and it was so heavy that I almost dropped it. 😂

4 Likes

Speedy tape is quite easy to master: if it’s covering something - it’s fine, if it’s holding something in place - it’s not fine

3 Likes

Yes lol!

proceeds to tape wing back on aircraft with speedy tape

2 Likes

Am I a joke to you?

Nice nice!

The super-strong waterproof tape! That can instantly patch, bond, seal, and repair! Flex tape is no ordinary tape; its triple thick adhesive virtually welds itself to the surface, instantly stopping the toughest DAMAGE

Still good joke lol 😂

3 Likes

useless, worthless. speed tape doesnt effect anything

that why you should use FLEX TAPE, a strong durable tape.

to show you it works, I SAWED THIS 747-8 IN HALF

10 Likes

Now that’s a lotta damage!

5 Likes

Wasn’t really sure what it was, thanks for the great read!

2 Likes

Yeah me neither. I thought all the photos with the “duct tape” was photo shopped until now lol

Uh yeah this would still worry me if I saw it 😂
There’s just something psychological that goes on in your head when it looks like duct tape was used on something that it shouldn’t be. yes I know it’s not duct tape, but still

1 Like

Well actually, duct tape came into the commercial market after it was used in the Vietnam war and proven to be a pretty sturdy tape.

1 Like

Why was this such a funny read! My favorite RWA topic so far!

1 Like

I learned today that speed tape is heavy and made of aluminum! The more you know…

Cool topic!

2 Likes

Btw @anon38496261 your pfp is perfection.

2 Likes

It truly is lol!

1 Like