Speed issues (I almost stalled, I need help I was very heavy)

I was on a flight from YSSY-KLAX in a Qantas A380. I was climbing to my cruise altitude (FL410). I was in an A380 so I was very heavy. When I was at my cruise altitude, my speed was about 200knts. I ended the flight because I was about to stall. I’m thinking of doing it again. I don’t really want to use the step climbing procedure. So any ideas, should I have a different cruise altitude, different climb rate (fpm)?

1 Like

Climbing in an A380 to FL410 directly may cause stalls. Step climbing may be helpful in this case. Here’s the tutorial on step climbing:

Cruising at a lower altitude may be an option if you don’t wish to step climb.

1 Like

There is your answers to why you stalled at least. You’re flying a Ultra Long Haul, and climbing to FL410 right away, well the physics on this world doesn’t allow that, when you’re as heavy as you probably are.

What you should so is Step Climb through put your flight. So start your flight flying up to FL310 or FL330, and then as you proceed I n your flight, gradually a few hours in between, climb to a higher altitude.

Above my post you can see @Jet_Airways_995 posted a link to a very helpful topic covering this; Step Climb!

3 Likes

I have a question. If I’m at FL300, and I climb to FL340, what fpm should I do? (2500FPM, 1900FPM?)

That depend on various factors, wind, weight, and etc… I personally would step climb at around 600-1200fpm if I were to climb from FL300 to FL340.

If that climb is made 3-4hrs after takeoff, then I’m still a bit heavy and 2000fpm is a significant ascent so I wouldn’t climb so much that it would require the seat belt sign to be on.

1 Like

Ok, thanks for your help mate.

1 Like

By the way, what altitude should I climb to first?

It would be quite safe for your initial cruise to be FL310/320, and, unless you are encountering some crazy headwinds, you should be able to climb there in one go. Just keep an eye on your speed until you get there and lower your ascent rate as you get higher

While your initial ascent rate (after takeoff) can be 2500/3000 feet per minute, you want to decrease that when you get over ~16000 feet, to approach 1500 fpm and later down to 500 fpm.

Then stay on your initial cruise, until you’ve burned some fuel and try another climb.

If you stay with your aircraft until cruise, you won’t risk stalling and (speed) violations.

4 Likes

Just going yo have to get used to it if you don’t want to stall because you are heavy. I admit, this happened to me when I started IF.

1 Like

If you are going to fly Heavy Long Hauls, then you’ll be kind of forced, or kindly said, required to step climb.

If you happen to fly a heavy aircraft on a short route then a step climb of only one climb is enough or no step climb at all. But when having a plane filled with tens of thousands of ton of fuel and flying for 8, 10, 12+ hours then step climb becomes a must.

It’s the same IRL, since the laws of physics just works that way. Gravity will try to bring you down, and the heavier you are, the more difficult it is to stay airborne at higher altitudes, until you burn off fuel to fly higher.

What you can do, is that if you want to climb as little as possible is that, this A380 you were flying, you should be in theory (only in IF), climb from FL310 to FL370 after 2-4hrs of flying but the engines will give more thrust and you’ll burn a higher rate of fuel then for a short while when climbing that high, that early in the flight.

1 Like

Step climbing will help, but be Warned that the 380 in infinite flight has quite an outdated model meaning it’s kind of underpowered. it struggles to maintain altitude even at lower weights.
If you don’t have time to step climb, for example if your flight is overnight, you can just cruise at a lower altitude for the entire flight. It’s not as realistic but at least you won’t stall, and you’will still arrive safe and sound.

1 Like

Hey everybody, just wanted to ask, what should my cruise altitude be? Please reply to me.

Simbrief will give you a cruise altitude, but a general rule of thumb is that you should be flying eastbound flights at an odd flight level, and westbound flights at an even one.

Cruise altitudes depend on the aircraft, route, weather, etc. There’s no set altitude, so pick one that seems right and you should be good to go.

2 Likes

Flight aware also gives a good idea of what the real pilots do for step climbs during their normal operations.

1 Like

FL410 maybe high but I recommend that once about 10K go right on the line of overspeed and get lower once overspeed get lower. So in a short story, be always at the line of the overspeed, without over-speeding

1 Like

That’s a terrible idea. To go right on the over speed line. It burns up excessive fuel.

You should go to about 320-330 above 10k. Cruise should be M 0.85.

Assuming you were cruising initially with the same weight, FL should be within 310-340.

Step-climb is an important factor to save more fuel

1 Like

Sorry just trying to help. But for me I would recommend better, to go to a FL390 or lower

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.