Speed increases - B777-200

It’s not the maximum so to speak, but the maximum in the normal operating range you would generally use. Emergency situations can see up to 8000fpm descent rate. From that same website regarding the table above:

Commanded descent rates could be anywhere from 500 to 4000 FPM (or greater) in order to keep the aircraft on schedule for the computed descent path.

The OP’s question has already been answered (by @AlphaSeven in the third reply)! If anyone has anything else to add, they can. However, there is no need to argue about “standard” descent rates in airliners, as this not what the OP’s question was.

1 Like

It is not. It contains correct data. It’s just that the data was directed at a completely different category of aircraft.

1 Like

No need to swear. It wasn’t an article either. Do you have a better source? Otherwise you’re not contributing anything with your remark unfortunately.

Have you kindly checked the two other sources I have provided?

Ok sorry haha my point is just that the data is absolutely off the chart of real world flights

Well, thing is the data was taken from a real world flight recorded on FlightAware, so… There’s that. And secondly, the flight manual for the 777 says that rate of descent is in the completely normal operating range.

Are done yet? :)

11 Likes

Alright guys, I think that there has been a lot of confusion here. Let’s sum it up using info we’ve learnt from others:

The standard decent rate for aircraft in general is from -500-4000 ftm. Logically, the decent rate varies from aircraft to aircraft.

Narrowbody: -500-4000fpm
Wide body: -500- 3500fpm.

These numbers are according to a standard-on time decent with no issues. As said by @EyesSkyward below; much higher decent rates are possible.

Despite taking a look at so many sources and articles, there weren’t many sources to prove that decent rates up to 4000 for wide-body are normal. They’re possible and happen, however they’re not found in every flight.

The OP’s question has been kindly answered by me, @EyesSkyward and @Lud_d.

1 Like

5500fpm descent is completely permissible (within normal commanded descent operating range) at 310kts with speedbrakes. Pilots gotta catch up time, you know 😉

As for how the actual model in Infinite Flight responds because the physics don’t represent the real life counterpart exactly, well, you shouldn’t mind getting violations when you try it out.

1 Like

Some of the real world pilots we have who’s been involved in the 777 physics (last time we updated it was 2016) would probably disagree here though. But I’ll leave that to them :)

6 Likes

If real world pilots were happy with the physics in 2016, does that mean they are staying the same for the upcoming 777?

1 Like

There will be tweaks, of course :)

3 Likes

I’m so excited for the new 777!

Well, the capabilities of the app and developers have changed significantly since 2016 I presume? Just comparing what has been produced since then I’m guessing things may have changed in the physics department. If the 777 descends like a boat in real life, then I’m wrong, lol.

From what we’ve been told, (we as in the people who actually mess with the physics);
The 777 is a glider beyond belief. I’ve brought this up a number of times over the years as well, as i do feel it’s a bit odd that’s near impossible to slow down. But apparently… that’s the case with that bird.

5 Likes

I don‘t have this problem with the -300

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.