Speed celsius

I’m trying to figure out what the best temperature for gaining altitude and speed for fun is. I’m using the McDonell Douglas jet from legacy aircraft.

In cruise set your temperature as high as possible. That increases the speed of sound so the same Mach number will result in a higher speed than normal.
This could make takeoff harder since you’ll increase the density altitude so I’d set it once you’re airborne.

3 Likes

I thought someone tested this a while back an determined that it had no effect in the sim?

Nah IF uses the sqrt(gammaRT) approximation for the local speed of sound. So you can increase T to get a higher TAS for a given Mach number.

1 Like

Roger. So we can expect differences in takeoff performance too then?

Higher temperatures would actually decrease takeoff performance irl but I’m not sure whether they modeled density altitude or not. I wouldn’t be surprised if they do but I haven’t tested it myself

Right, that’s what I’m trying to get at. I was trying to see if I just haven’t noticed but I’m pretty sure its not modeled

Higher, hotter = faster

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.