Speed brakes

I was just flying into Bangkok on a 777 and I’ve flown for over 400 hours and this has never happened to me before…

I was coming in for an approach listening to everything approach was telling me, I personally thought they were telling me to come in way too slow at 200 knots still over 50 miles out but I tried to listen to them but my AirSpeed refused to go down. I obviously tried a few techniques, I first tried to lower my vertical speed and deploy air brakes, which for some reason did not help very much at all., my vertical speed was around 1,200 feet per minute. I was nearing below 10,000 feet so in a unorthodox unrealistic measure, I deployed flaps to try to slow myself down and this as well refused to slow my plane down. I eventually went to almost full flaps which in reality would have torn the flaps right off but I had no other choice and this itself also didn’t work. I passed through ten thousand feet and was over speeding by almost 50 knots so I had to quit before I got a violation. I wasn’t overweight and this was a routine procedure, which I am well use to, other than the approach telling me to go at slower speeds and I thought I should. Any ideas what happened?

1 Like

Well the 777 is getting reworked so it should fix the physics causing that

1 Like

The 777 has always been a slippery aircraft. It’s quite similar to that in real life according to a real world 777 pilot. You need to plan your descent far ahead of time: the further out you descend, the lower VS you can have which will allow you to scrub off speed easier without having to use the flaps and speedbrakes.

You can always hold above 10,000ft for a little while longer to slow down if you need. Also make sure you aren’t above the MLW, you can always fuel burn if you need 😉

5 Likes

You should level off at a certain altitude (I recommend 11000), and you should slow down earlier.

A gradual slowing is easier than slowing down 30-40 knots at a time.

1 Like

Thank you yeah I agree, the only issue is approach was pushing me to descend faster, they told me to expedite my descent.

In that case, I think it may be easier if you start your descent a bit earlier.

1 Like

Okay thank you when would you recommend to start? I started it 140 nautical miles out

What altitude were you cruising at?

FL340. I started off with The Descent rate of 1600 ft per minute and then eventually dropped it further to 2000

I am afraid the physics for the 777 doesn’t need fixing, it is very accurate. The 777 will go down or slow down, but it won’t do both. Liberal use of speed brakes is required during the descent. It is an issue which has been discussed on here a few times.

2 Likes

Hmm thats weird maybe on the othrr platforms I have used them on have been inaccurate

But again take in consideration we dont have rolling speed breaks so maybe thats a different thing you know :)

1 Like

Sorry to hear that . But thank god they are reworking the 777 family so it would fix most the problems regarding the physics.

1 Like

did u put the spoilers on flight mode?? just asking maybe it slipped to armed

1 Like

Spoilers ;)

2 Likes

I thought the same thing but no they were on flight thank you though

1 Like

I have this problem with an A350… When i set a specific speed for autopilot to follow; i noticed that the autopilot would push some thrust before it reached the required speed… It’s extremely slippery that you need to add up to 20NM to you TOD in order to slow down… I stop flying it due to speed uncontrollability (for me at least)… B777 would be the same but with slightly less effect… My protocol is to try slowing down early after the initiation of descent… During descent; try to put Mach .78 as if it was an A320 cruising, so below FL280 you would end up with 290 knots which you can control further easier… IRL there’s a point on the ND called deceleration point (DECEL) where the aircraft would start pitching up to reduce the speed…

Might want to put this one in #support

No, because support is for issues with the actual application itself. The OP was/ is having an issue with slowing down an aircraft.

Oh, ok. filler