Speaking To ATC

Hi there! I was just wondering, in real life when pilots are tuned into a frequency is it that anything they say can be heard by ATC or do they have to press a button to activate the microphone?

thanks

1 Like

From my experience it works like push to talk

7 Likes

They have to hold or press an button to speak, would be a messy frequency if everything would be heard

4 Likes

yeh, lol thanks

Have you ever seen one of those videos where they talk to you about the flight?

1 Like

The push to talk was already explained, so I will explain another feature. In real life you can control which frequency your mic connects to separate from your audio. This means you can be listening to 2 frequencies at a time while only talking to one. I don’t use this feature often, but sometimes it is helpful when landing to also listen to ground and see which taxiways are being used.

2 Likes

So you fly in real life?

1 Like

Yep! A good example of this would be ATC telling you to “cross runway 22R and monitor ground.”
In this instance you would be talking to tower since while crossing the runway, but you would be monitoring, or listening to the ground controller without actually talking to him yet.

4 Likes

Nice example!

1 Like

Another example is if you’re trying to get the ATIS for an airport

1 Like

I stopped doing that because the ATIS at my airport has gotten really hard to understand for some technical reasons, but I used to do that before.

Ah I see. I’ve always done that

2 Likes

In order to talk to ATC, you have to push your “push to talk” button on the yoke or joystick. Most, if not all, airplanes have dual or even triple sets of radio to where you can listen/monitor a freq while actively transmitting one another. This feature is super handy especially when flying in busy airspace.

Not by ATC, no. That’s a specific “push to talk” (PTT) button, usually mounted on the yoke or stick.

However, for airliners, everything that the pilots say is continuously recorded on the cockpit voice recorder (CVR) in case of an accident or incident, and is stored on tape in a crash-resistant storage device on the aircraft.

2 Likes

Yep, just like push to talk on Discord - as simple as that. 😂

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.