Space flight in infinite flight

Hi I know it will and would take time but can we please get space crafts in the sim like the space shuttle Apollos and other ships?. it would be awesome to be able to free roam in space and be able to deorbit and re enter the atmosphere anywhere around earth. and with the earth being fully rendered in the sim i think it would look beautiful to see earth from space thanks kind regards

5 Likes

This will never happen because IF is a flight simulator not a space simulator.

5 Likes

As much as I would love the space shuttle, this will probably either never happen, or happen in the comming 10 years. My own option

1 Like

This wouldn’t really fit well in IF since it would be a completely different game, but hey who knows maybe in the far future we could get something.

1 Like

Ok thanks for letting me know im remaining optimistic thanks so hopefully some day

I’m just going to throw this out there because it isn’t obvious, but is super relevant. Maneuvering in space is not the same as in the atmosphere, at all. In the atmosphere maneuvering is frankly fairly intuitive. Point up to go up, point down to go down, roll right to go right, etc. In space basically none of that applies. Firstly 99.9% of the time you are coasting, and any maneuvers requires an engine burn. Then when you maneuver it’s all unintuitive till you really understand how orbit works. If you want to say lower your orbit to re enter how would you do that? I bet most of you are saying point down and light the engine. Not really. Technically that will do it, but it is not efficient. You are lowering yourself but on the other side your orbit is being raised. So you have to burn all the way till you push yourself down enough to hit the atmosphere. The much, much better way to do it is to point backwards (retrograde) and light the engine to slow down just a bit and let gravity do the rest. Then going to the moon or other planets isn’t a straight shot, you have to account for their movement while you are in transit (with transit times of days for the moon or months/years for planets that’s a significant thing) and the whole time you are in orbit around the sun. So really you are just leaving earth orbit into a very specific heliocentric orbit that intersects the target. Everything in space is not really intuitive or the same as flying a plane. Aside from the obvious need for new physics being in space would require an entirely different set of controls, navigation, etc.

An atmospheric only space shuttle landing mission though is something that could be done comparatively easily, and was formerly in the game.

9 Likes

The model for it is still on the shuttle carrier

That model though is so far from a usable asset in the simulator. I’m not sure if that would even really help much to create a shuttle mission in the sim if that is something the developers were ever interested in.

1 Like

If you want to play space simulator, I would recommend playing kerbal space program or simple rockets 2. IF is not meant for space flight and will likely never happen.

1 Like

Mhm, just a cool fact that its still technically in the game

1 Like

Ksp is fun.

This wouldn’t be a great idea. Infinite flight is meant to be realistic and user friendly. I wouldn’t say landing this guy from space is a very user friendly thing if done realistically. How to Land the Space Shuttle... from Space - YouTube

Spaceships fly.

I am going to be pretty straight forward with this: This is a flight simulator. :)

After all, flight involves air.

1 Like

Never say never:

2 Likes

From the link given above:

I miss the glitch when you could fly an F-22 into the ground at max speed and get tossed millions of feet into the air.

2 Likes

But I think IF’s focus on quality make it an interesting thought. As far as the complexity of orbital mechanics, a lot that in terms of piloting could be automated, with key operations and decision points under pilot control with core concepts illustrated at a higher level of interaction. It might perhaps rely on time acceleration to avoid a lot of dead waiting time. And the scenery database adds to making it at least a tempting idea.

That logic isint going to work, IF is a flight simulator for airplanes, not spaceships.

Yeah, there are definitely a lot of ways to get around it. Really all I was trying to convey though is that it isn’t nearly as simple as just adding a spaceship and opening up that part of the universe to us. It’s a whole different ballgame out there which would require major redesigns to the game to work properly or at all.

2 Likes