Southwest Schedule Extension | 11/02/17

On November 2, 2017 Southwest will open their schedule for sale through August 6, 2018.

What new developments/routes should we expect? What do you think they might add?

For reference, here are the top 50 WN markets for Q2 of 2017, so you can see where they are currently growing or shrinking… (Midwestindy)

5 Likes

Good to see St. Louis staying strong!

They announced flights to Hawaii recently, what is your take on that?

1 Like

I personally think that Hawaii will be added in this extension for flights starting in April-May 2018.

I think they will do:
KLAS
KOAK
KPHX
KSAN
KDAL
KLAX
flights to Hawaii and grow on those as Trans-Pacific Hubs.

I also think that Southwest may react to Frontier’s Expansion at KISP and add some more flights. (The have 3 extra gates that never get used and are owned by SW)

My Predictions for KISP:
BWI - 6x (+1)
MCO - 3x (-)
FLL - 2x (-)
PBI - 2x (-)
TPA - 1x (-)
DEN - 1x (+1)
ATL - 1x (+1)
MDW - 2x (+2)
MCI - 1x (+1)
BNA - 5 times weekly

I can possibly see KLAS and KLAX though (In regards to Hawaii aswell) so direct there would be better for them.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t see LAX, it has tons of Hawaii flights already.

I don’t see LAS, DAL sounds like a stretch in range.

My picks are KSAN KPHX and KOAK for Hawaii, or possibly Denver?

2 Likes

Can’t wait for Hawaii service, now I’m a point hoarder 😂

I wish they would fly out of Love, so I wouldn’t have to make a connection, but I doubt it as they haven’t added any international service an the past and their gate restrictions. Might be some catch with the repeal if the Wright Amendment with Int’l service, as the maxed out the gates.

3 Likes

Remember though… The key is making hubs at those places, you have people coming in from all over to this airport to keep flying. So for KLAX and KLAS it doesnt matter (Just for the people who already live there.)

2 Likes

Southwest doesn’t transfer bags to other airlines though. You couldn’t fly into LAX on American and then fly SWA out. LAX just has lots of landing fees and I think SAN or OAK would be better as SWA has a higher market share.

LAS is just for people that go to Vegas to party, I think a direct to Hawaii out of there doesn’t make much sense.

3 Likes

Oh please… I mean ATL is a reasonable prediction but these… not so much

2 Likes

I could definitely see some more STL service though, maybe STL-BDL, and STL-JAX. I’d go for STL-SJU but considering the utter devastation Puerto Rico is in after Maria, I doubt that SJU will be expanding anytime soon.

4 Likes

MDW to HNL ( I wish ), would e nice to compete with United’S current non-stop but i would still choose UA over SW.
Maybe more routes to canada from MDW but i feel MDW will get alot more Flights ( which is love ) from SW.
Im kinda excited.

If they can get bigger aircrafts and Change their Livery i would be Very proud to fly with southwest.

Edit: Now i read the doc I see MDW is not doing good, Maybe more routes ( and cheaper ) flights will boost things.

2 Likes

Anyone think that “The Caribbean Expansion” could be in this expansion (as service would be in late 2018 (Caribbean would be repaired (TNCM)

Lol. What’s wrong with Southwest’s livery?

1 Like

I dont like it, I think it doesn’t represent the word "Southwest"
and just looks bad on a 737 maybe

1 Like

True. It does represent their Spirit, though, and that’s what SWA is about.

1 Like

Midway is competing too much with United and American. I heard they are moving the traffic over to St. Louis.

4 Likes

Maybe WN will add regularly scheduled MAX service here at ISP with this new schedule release… There’s no reason that they can’t when they get more MAX’s as we have regularly scheduled 737-800 service!

1 Like

The 738Ms cycle through like 738s unless a specific route requires the extra performance.

2 Likes

DAL? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Yeah not happening

2 Likes

I’d personally like to see…

1. Swa change from Midway to O’hare. MDW runways are way too short.

2. I’m excited to see Hawaii come in and I’d like to see them offer service to more Caribbean islands
    Ex. TNCM

2 Likes

Never going to happen, MDW is basically SWAs airport. Plus I don’t think ORD could take another 250 flights a day nor would have the gates to operate 250 flts a day. Jmo though

1 Like