Southwest Retires Remaining 737-300's

IMG_2450
Credit to: https://www.google.com/amp/www.avgeekery.com/saying-goodbye-to-a-classic-the-last-flight-of-southwests-boeing-737-300s-is-near/amp/

Today Southwest is retiring their remaining 737-300’s. This was Southwest’s workhorse for a while, the first ones going into service with them on Dec. 17, 1984. At their peak Southwest’s fleet had 195 737-300’s and as of today are retiring their remaining 75. While it’s sad to see this aircraft leave their fleet it’s just LCC economics. With older planes comes more maintenance and less fuel efficiency, so inevitably old planes are pushed out in favor of newer, more cost effective, planes. In this case the 737 MAX.

I don’t get to fly to often, or else I would have booked a flight to fly it one more time under the Southwest name. Luckily my dad is a frequent flyer and had the honor of flying back home on one of those 737-300’s final flights.

So what’s your opinion on this? Personally I love the 737 MAX so the retirement of Southwest’s -300’s are buffered a bit by that, but it is also a turn in the page and, of course, these retired planes are sure to find use by others as well.

42 Likes

As a frequent Southwest flyer, this is definitely sad to see these beautiful planes go. I remember flying on a few of the -300s on the many trips I’ve taken throughout the US.

Good things do come to an end though, sadly. Nevertheless, I cannot wait to fly on the new MAXs when they start servicing BDL! :)

7 Likes

The MAX is going to be a great replacement for the 300. I’m excited to fly on one!

8 Likes

I agree with this statement because I like all types of 737’s, but im 100% for the 737 MAX replacing the older SW 737’s.

Let the -300 be history

2 Likes

Such a sad day in Southwest history. I’m definitely going to miss seeing them at ISP, although they didn’t come in that often because so many people live around ISP, and the -300’s are loud. Can’t wait to see the MAX though!

1 Like

This is bittersweet in my opinion. The 733 had a great tenure but it is time to make room for some new aircraft with upgrades and efficiency. Thank you for your service 733.

4 Likes

I’ve seen these out at VCV!

1 Like

Darn, I like those oldies. I flew on one (Reg. N603SW) about 3 or 4 weeks ago from Denver to Houston. I’ll be sad to see that workhorse go.

1 Like

I had literally just rode on one yesterday KDAL-KMSY

2 Likes

The 737-300 has Done a great work for Southwest Airlines But 733 it’s time for you to rest. Thanks For the Great Service And wonderful flights

3 Likes

I hate to see these go.

1 Like

I loved flying on these birds from KLIT-KDAL all the time. Truly a piece of machinery.

2 Likes

What?!?! A 737-3 just flew into my hometown airport not 20 minutes ago?!?

1 Like

Yep. My dad flew one today as well. Today is their final day of service.

1 Like

As they say, “all good things come to an end”. Like the 747’s, airlines are starting to strive for more efficient aircraft, unfortunately leaving iconic aircraft behind.

2 Likes

I was told that after the retirement of the -300 and more max’s was that they would start really pushing on the Caribbean! :)

3 Likes

I would love to see that happen! Would be great to have some of their great service and low fares flying out that way.

1 Like

The MAX has the range to connect the North East to Western Europe, I hope to see them go there as well!

2 Likes

Been on a WN 733 one time from PHL-MCO a few years back

1 Like

Always will love the -300s, won’t forget when I flew on one!

1 Like