Southwest may take up to 500 MAX 7s

Seems the early MAX 7 deferrals were more for fleet balance than scrapping the MAX 7. Also interesting to note in the interview was the slight interest in the MAX 10.

“Kelly, responding to a question from LNC, said he expects that perhaps 60% of the fleet will eventually be the MAX 7. Southwest currently has more than 500 737-700s.” https://leehamnews.com/2018/03/01/southwest-ceo-sees-60-fleet-becoming-737-7/#more-26466

14 Likes

Dang, that would be huge for Boeing.

7 Likes

Dang Southwest! More efficient planes I see!!! Southwest is a really loyal customer for the B737, so its not really surprising that they did this.

3 Likes

These going to replace the -700

1 Like

Well duh, that’s the only aircraft they operate.

2 Likes

They operate -800 as well…

1 Like

the MAX is going to be an upgrade from both the -700 and -800

I love their loyalty for Boeing

3 Likes

Despite the fact they threatened Boeing they would use the A320 if the 737 wasn’t upgraded. Not loyalty, just PR to say ‘we have lots of 737’

3 Likes

I mean at least you can say the 737 has been upgraded.

1 Like

Agreed, I was worried the -7 would end up like the -600, especially after the deferrals earlier this year. The best tidbit of info was the MAX 10 comment 🤔

500, that is a lot of planes.

3 Likes

We will finish 2018 with around 710ish I do believe.

1 Like

That’s roughly 2x all the aircraft Air New Zealand,Qantas,Jetstar and Virgin Australia own combined 😮

That’s all Australian / New Zealand Airlines (that aren’t small regional airlines)

2 Likes

Guys, slow down. This is just one random, fairly insignificant news organisation that is pure speculation- nowhere have they given any source that SWA intends to make this many purchases. They just think that they ‘could’ buy up to 500.

8 Likes

Yasss, I’m so excited!! Can’t wait to fly on one of these.

Woah that’s a lot good job Boeing and southwest

@Delta319 I agree, Boeing will profit a bunch from this sale. if it happens they will have a good customer they can go back to.

Southwest has always been a loyal customer to Boeing. This would be great for Boeing and their 737max 7 program! If they do order 500, will get retire the normal 737-700s?

1 Like

That may qualify for understatement of the year…

They have never owned a non Boeing aircraft, unless you count qhan they bought Air Tran, and technicly “owned” a few 717s

1 Like

717 is a Boeing aircraft lol

3 Likes