Southwest flight diverted due to a passenger smoking onboard.

A Southwest flight 1250 bound for Los Angeles from San Francisco made an emergency landing in San Jose. But this emergency landing wasn’t because of any usual mechanical trouble, or medical emergency. This in fact was cause by a passenger smoking. I have never seen anyone try anything this crazy but I guess the world is changing.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/05/31/southwest-flight-makes-emergency-landing-because-passenger-was-allegedly-smoking-pot.amp.html

Please do not post about how this event may not be that serious. I decided to post it because it interested me and this is different. If anyone has an issue please PM me! Thanks. :-)

6 Likes

Yep that’s it, Southwest down. End of the airline. Better close ops now. Bye bye love!

On a serious note, this has to be the most interesting divert I’ve heard of yet.

5 Likes

Not a strange reason… if a passenger is smoking, that poses the risk of fire. And that’s not good in the air. Safety is every airline’s number one priority, so playing it on the safe side and landing was a good decision. Well done pilots.

9 Likes

Agreed, they made the right call for sure

2 Likes

Not strange because of the smoking, but strange that it’s even happening in the first place.

4 Likes

Very true. The passengers should recognize that smoking in the aircraft can cause the death of everybody on the aircraft… sometimes I just don’t get people when they make stupid decisions…

4 Likes

It seems that we can all agree, the worst thing about flying is people. Guess I better start preparing to be a cargo pilot 😂

4 Likes

Its common actually,last month a captain decided to not takeoff due a pasenger smoking in the toilet… even though he is smoking an e cigarette, the battery could explode…

2 Likes

Aren’t e-cigarettes banned on commercial flights?

1 Like

This is stupidity on a whole new level 😂

4 Likes

I’m surprised they would even take the risk of smoking. I mean, I have never seen anything like that. I can understand why the diversion was make but dang Southwest is having there share of problems this year!

1 Like

Once that man smokes though…

A. He puts the whole aircraft at risk along with the passengers.

B. The plane is required to land to handle with the situation (I believe this is from a FAA guidline somewhere)… - Let me know.

So basically the Plane had to land and clear the plane because this guy wanted to be dumb

1 Like

This ain’t a sign the world is changing lol, people have done dumb stuff like this since the start of society.

Also tons of people used to smoke on planes when it was allowed.

2 Likes

How on earth did he clear TSA?!?!

They were banned actually

People run tests (FAA, NTSB, etc.) and found that TSA misses roughly 90% of items representing bombs, guns, knifes, etc.

All I can say is what an idiot. Smoke in the room at the airport, if you have to light up.

3 Likes

Not only are you damaging your lungs, but you are also damaging your wallet. Just saying.

3 Likes

Better safer than sorry

1 Like

If anyone’s curious, here are the FAA rules and regulations on smoking in-flight.
http://fsims.faa.gov/wdocs/8900.1/v14%20compliance%20&%20enforcement/chapter%2003/14_003_010.pdf

1 Like

Smoking on planes used to be an actual thing, smoking in general was so popular that most older planes still have ashtrays just like they do in older trains and cars.

Glad its illegal to smoke now though, I hated the smell of cigarette smoke >_<

2 Likes