Southwest announces four Hawaiian routes

4-28-18
Hey everyone! Southwest has announced their new routes to Hawaii earlier this week! This was in Facebook, but I’ll find a news source so i can link it in here.

I think this is awesome! I wonder how much it’ll cost to fly to Hawaii on Southwest. Can’t wait to hopefully fly to Hawaii on Southwest soon!

Southwest Media source:

12 Likes

It’s not really routes yet, just the airports they plan to serve there.

3 Likes

Yeah, I know. Can’t wait to see more details about fares and all the neat stuff soon though :)

Poor Hawaiian Airlines. At this rate, they aren’t getting much service flights as they used to. Southwest is only applying the burn to the fire. Anyways, I’m happy for them. Their routes need to be fixed a little though

1 Like

Hawaiian is getting the B787 in hopes to expand further into Asia where competition isnt so tight. Hawaiian will stay #1

5 Likes

Wow that pretty cool!! I guess Southwest’s 737 MAX’s can get over there if they can by distance

Hawaii market is already super oversaturated with flights. There are like 35 daily flights from LAX to all the airports in Hawaii combined. These Hawaii flights will be a great value for companion pass holders

Hope to see some routes out of Denver!

1 Like

Do the MAXs have the range to do that?

@Wattsup_jet They do surprisingly. Depending on the plane and weight they can go around 3500 miles.

That’s like flying from Manchester, NH to London, UK non-stop.

1 Like

Yeah, the 737-800 have the range for that too

Yup. Norwegian uses MAXs on transatlantic flights from the UK, Ireland and Norway to the northeast US.

Hope this will bring prices down on Hawaiian not that $800-$1000 RT for extra comfort seating. from the East coast is unreasonable to me.

I really wonder if WN would establish a base in Hawaii. It would be interesting.
Anyway, it’s so good to see southwest expanding to Hawaii too.

Southwest Announces The US Airports For Hawaii Service

Southwest Airlines Co. announced its intention to fly nonstop to Hawaii from several California airports, consisting of Oakland Metropolitan Airport (OAK), San Diego International Airport (SAN), Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC), and Sacramento International Airport (SMF), following FAA authorization.

• KOAK
  • KSAN
  • KSJC
  • KSMF

From Southwest:

While specific routes are not yet available for purchase, our initial intention is to begin Hawaii nonstop service from Oakland (OAK), San Diego (SAN), San Jose (SJC), and Sacramento (SMF).* From California, you can reach Honolulu, HI (Oahu), Kahului, HI (Maui), Kona, HI (Island of Hawaii), and Lihue, HI (Kauai).
We also intend to provide interisland service, so you can fly between the Hawaiian Islands with us, too.

2 Likes

Pretty excited about this, I fly SW regularly because of work and am hoping to get the point saved up to cash in a trip there.

I’m a little surprised that they don’t go to LAX, considering many of the connection flights would be to there, but I guess SAN would be the next best thing coming from DAL

2 Likes

Happy they’re flying into KOA, there aren’t very many options for flying to direct to the west coast from here.

They announced service from KSMF to hawaii! (my home airport!)

1 Like

I just dont want to be over the ocean when a window blows open

1 Like