Southwest Airlines FINALLY Announces Intentions to Serve Hawaii!

More details to come!

15 Likes

Do we know from where yet!?!? Im thrilled!

3 Likes

Nope, hopefully finding out soon!

1 Like

Are they using the MAX to get there?

4 Likes

Probably from one of the destinations in California already served by SWA. i.e. (LAX, SAN, SFO, OAK, BUR, SNA, ONT)

3 Likes

I wouldn’t rule out LAS, although it’s very unlikely because they probably wouldn’t wanna risk that long of a flight.
Maybe one-stop same plane LAS-Hawaii service?

1 Like

With the MAX, its possible from LAS. Good point.

2 Likes

Its also possible from their Houston-Hobby Hub aswell as Seattle (To compete with Alaskan)

1 Like

Gary Kelly just released a statement:
"We intend to begin selling tickets in 2018, and while we’re not quite ready to offer our Customers specific schedule or market information, tonight’s announcement is going to be big news within the industry. "

1 Like

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2017/10/11/business/business-breaking/southwest-airlines-makes-it-official-hawaii-service-on-the-way/

According to the source, SWA will be using the MAX 8 on these routes. @PixelToast

3 Likes

If they use the MAX then I might fly southwest again.

1 Like

we should create an event for this special occasion

All I have to do now is Book flights on Southwest out of Manchester to Hawaii!

Yea with like 2 stops lol, most people wouldn’t like that but TBH I wouldn’t mind (as well as my bags made it!!)

1 Like

The Who & How I got these does not matter. All that matters is that Southwest is indeed going to Hawaii from California. Routes have not been discussed publicly yet. Pilots are a close knit community

3 Likes

Pretty sure they will use the -800 and MAX for this. This is awesome! But 1 request. PLEASE don’t use your planes with the non-updated cabin for this…

1 Like

I would say ONT they pretty much own the airport…

The Q&A I posted says that the -800 & MAX 8 will be the only aircraft utilized.

2 Likes

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2017/10/11/business/business-breaking/southwest-airlines-makes-it-official-hawaii-service-on-the-way/
“Southwest executives also acknowledged that they are evaluating offering interisland travel — a move that would cut into Hawaiian Airlines’ stranglehold in the islands and potentially hurt smaller local carriers Island Air, Mokulele Airlines and Makani Kai Air. In addition, Southwest said it is considering nonstop flights to neighbor islands.” Quote from the article
@DeerCrusher thoughts?

I personally think that its a bold but good move of Southwest. Hawaiian currently dominates the market over there, and has little competition. It would be good to see some competition in the islands. I’m curious how this will play out. Exciting times!

3 Likes