Southwest Airlines Announces Intentions To Serve Sarasota

Starting early next year, Southwest Airlines will serve Sarasota, Florida. Sarasota is in between Fort Myers and Tampa, both of which Southwest already serves, but closer to Tampa. According to this article, Southwest plans to operate both year-round and seasonal routes.

What’s everyone’s thinking? I could see year round BWI, ATL, and seasonal MDW, ISP, PVD, BDL. Maybe Saturday seasonal BNA

5 Likes

It seems like a very Southwest kind of thing.

They have been expanding into a lot of markets this year!

1 Like

That’s really neat! Southwest already has strong ties to Tampa and Fort Myers and Sarasota is right in the middle, as well as a popular tourist destination so it’ll be interesting to see what happens.

I personally don’t get how there are so many sustainable airports in Florida. I mean I get that it’s a major travel destination, however, many of these airports are only an hour drive from each other.

Who doesn’t love Southwest

Does allegiant Airlines go there?

Ease of travel would be the easiest way to explain it.

Tourists want a brand they trust to fly them to the destination, not an hour’s car ride away… Taking away say about half a day depending on when the flight arrives.

It’s great to see Southwest, and many other carriers expanding however ways they can during these upside down times!

1 Like

Sarasota to Long Island MacArthur hmmhmmhmhmhmhmhmhm

Southwest’s Sarasota flights begin February 14, 2020:

• 2x daily Nashville
  • 3x daily Baltimore
  • 1x daily Houston-Hobby
  • 2x daily Chicago-Midway
3 Likes