Southwest 737-800 Slides Off Runway in Baltimore (BWI)

Earlier, at Baltimore-Washington International Airport in Maryland, a Southwest Airlines plane slid off the runway Wednesday morning, according to CBS Baltimore. Winter Storm Liam is wreaking havok across the east, and as of now, appears to be the cause of the incident. There were no injuries reported in the incident as WN906 started its takeoff roll bound to Montego Bay, Jamaica, or MBJ. The aircraft in question is N8523W, a Boeing 737-800. WN906 has since been cancelled, and passengers will either be put on a 737 MAX 8 tomorrow, or find a connecting flight today.

Source https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/8815274

Story from CBS Baltimore https://www.google.com/amp/baltimore.cbslocal.com/2018/02/07/southwest-plane-bwi-airport/amp/

Post on Twitter https://mobile.twitter.com/WJZDevin/status/961276887279562752/photo/1

5 Likes

My wife was there waiting on her flight and was telling me about it

18 Likes

yikes, that my local airport. It was very icy this morning

1 Like

Wow Tom! That’s crazy!

1 Like

Is that the hill off of 15L? Always saw that as a possible hazard to planes overrunning the Rwy @anon66442947

2 Likes

i believe so they were departing 15

2 Likes

This is not something you see everyday at Southwest Airlines…poor passengers. Hopefully they can make it to Montego Bay via a separate aircraft soon.

1 Like

Either tomorrow on a MAX 8 (avgeeks dream) or a connecting flight.

2 Likes

Hopefully this storm is gone soon, I’m flying up there later this week

2 Likes

At least it didn’t skid onto a street or hit a home. That could have ended badly.

Here’s another look at it closer up.

2 Likes

Dang! That must be bad for the passengers on board. They are expecting a nice, warm Caribbean vacation and they get a flight that slides off the runway. Isn’t this crash similar to WN1248 in 2005?

1 Like

Yes, but no. 1248 was landing and overran the runway. Both were in icy conditions, but 1248 actually went into the streets of Chicago, killing 1, the only fatal WN flight ever.

So, yes, but no at the same time.

2 Likes

Not sure what the airport situation is at Baltimore but when it happened at Bristol because the hold short line is so far away from the runway exit it was classed as it sliding off the runway which seems far more dramatic. Similar case here?

At least it’s not dangling off a cliff (looking at you, Pegasus ;D) and also still on the runway. It’s not everyday a US based airline has incidents quite like this.

1 Like

Yeah, Southwest has only had 2 fatalities in its whole existence. Pretty safe if you ask me. These accidents will always happen, and it sucks to see it happen to one of my favorite airlines. But it happens, you can’t stop weather.

1 Like

Well, so much for their hollidays. Quite an interesting story.

1 Like

Sorry I’m commenting twice, but one of those accidents was at my old home airport. (I moved) I don’t know the flight number but it was the one where the pilot was over speeding but didn’t care and still landed the plane.
Edit: No fatalities, but still interesting.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.