Southern Winter Wonderland | U.S. Coast Guard | C-130J | NZCH-NZIR

This flight is definitely among my favourite ever flights on Infinite Flight. I’ve flown on the shores of the continent before but this is the first time that I’ve actually flown this ice cold wonderland. Note that I’m using the U.S. Coast Guard’s livery because it is the closest livery to the real one used by the 109th Airlift Wing, who fly to Antarctica during the southern hemisphere summer.

Server: Expert
Callsign: Coastguard 2410
Aircraft: Lockheed Martin C-130J Super Hercules
Route: Christchurch International Airport (NZCH) to Ice Runway (NZIR)
Flight time: 6 hours and 6 minutes

Preparations taking place at Christchurch Antarctic Centre (at Christchurch Airport)

Boarding the aircraft

Departing Christchurch

The shore of New Zealand slowly disappearing from view

Nearing our destination (also, stunning views of Antarctica)

Touchdown at the Ice Runway (part of McMurdo Air Station)

Deboarding the Herc

One last glance at the aircraft before heading off to McMurdo Station

Hope you enjoyed these photos! :)

14 Likes

Nice shots! I saw you heading down there while I was doing some hops in my TBM :)

1 Like

A rare flight in IF! Great to see the 7th continent getting some love!

1 Like

Thank you for your comment! Yes, I also noticed you doing some hopping in the TBM early on in my flight to McMurdo :)

1 Like

Thanks for your comment! I watched a documentary years ago about the 109th Airlift Wing and their operations to the poles using ski-fitted Hercs. I finally found the opportunity to fly such a unique route. When you get the chance to fly to either of the poles, do so! :)

1 Like

Great job. Love tho photos. Especially the last one
May I ask what your cruise altitude was? Just for a reference.

1 Like

Thank you! My final cruise altitude was FL240 (24,000 ft.). The Herc has a ceiling altitude of FL280 so it is rather low but normal for a turboprop aircraft. :)

1 Like