South African Airlines Sends 2 A350's to Spanish Graveyard

Sad news arises today as 2 SA A350-900’s were sent back to their lessor

South African Airways has sent two of its Airbus A350s to a Spanish aircraft graveyard. The two A350s were leased from Avolon, joining the fleet last November, having previously flown for Hainan Airlines. According to data from Planespotters.net, both aircraft are no longer part of the SAA fleet.

South African Airways has four Airbus A350s. Two were leased from Avolon, with the other two being hired from Air Mauritius. Air Mauritius is in currently in voluntary administration. The two from Avolon have now been ferried to Teruel, a Spanish aircraft graveyard towards the north-east of the country. The aircraft ZS-SDD departed Johannesburg on the 10th of july at 11:30pm and flew 9 hours and 39 minuites to teruel touching down at 9:47am the next day.

This is a huge blow for SA and is also sad news for the whole aviation community, for more information on this matter please visit the source of information https://simpleflying.com/saa-airbus-a350-aircraft-graveyard/

Thanks for reading,
Oliver

11 Likes

this is because of the pandemic right? damn that sucks…

1 Like

This is because of the SAA being in huge amounts of debt and a majority of the debt is to losses from the COVID-19 pandemic

1 Like

Well this is really bad for SAA. They were already not doing so well, and this virus has just put a nail in the coffin for SAA.

I never really liked the A350 though, but it’s still pretty sad.

3 Likes

i think that their livery looks beautiful on the A350

2 Likes

It is quite sad, I’m quite a big fan of the A350 so makes me a bit more sad

1 Like

Sad ! SA is facing bad times… hope they recover soon !!

2 Likes

Fingers crossed all airlines recover especially the financially worse hit airlines such as SAA

2 Likes

i’m a big airbus fan too…
40na1f

1 Like

Yeah. it wasn’t a good time for them and now the pandemic added to it ! SAA requires miracles

1 Like

Yeah, I hope all of the struggling airlines can turn around, including SAA. I’d hate to see any more airlines go bankrupt than the ones that already have.

2 Likes

Well quite recently SAA received a large bailout so hopefully that gets them back on track!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the story of the SAA A350s, which are now being taken care of in Teruel. Sad sight to see these new planes together with all the other planes there awaiting their destiny.

1 Like

No problem just thought I should shed some light on the situation at SAA, I’m glad that the planes are being returned to the lessor and put into long term storage instead of not coming back again.

1 Like

Yeah, this is very sad news. Part of the restructuring plan is to have a total of 6 aircraft in the SAA fleet, then expand up to 26 throughout the next year and a half.

1 Like

Wow that’s surprising, Just 6 aircraft! that is a huge blow

1 Like

That’s just the beginning, most international routes are being cut, except for London, New York, Washington, Frankfurt, and Perth. Then there is the staff…

1 Like

Oh no does this mean the end of the A340??

1 Like

Yes, it was replaced by the A350. I believe the remaining 6 aircraft will be 2 A350, 2 or 3 A333, and the rest A320

2 Likes

That’s gutting because the I am quite fond of the A340 ever since I saw one land at my local airport and I love the a330 so I’m glad that’s staying!

1 Like