Sonic Boom In Bangalore - Fighter Jet

Sonic Boom In Bangalore - Fighter Jet

A fighter jet close to the city of Bangalore was traveling at a supersonic speed when a sonic boom took place. At around 1:25 PM local time, residents (Not just one area, but almost the entire city) of Bangalore heard a huge “BOOM” sound. The ground was trembling, buildings shaking, etc. Panic ensued on social media accounts & there were many conspiracies. At first, everyone thought it was an earthquake.

However, this was quickly shot down by the government. Another conspiracy arose: A fighter jet had gone supersonic. While the Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. company denied this, the Indian Air Force was hinting towards it.

Finally, they offered an explanation saying,

“It was a routine IAF Test Flight involving a supersonic profile which took off from Bluru Airport and flew in the allotted airspace well outside City limits. The aircraft was of Aircraft Systems and Testing Establishment (ASTE)”

The plane was well out of the limits (At least 60-100km from the outskirts of the city).
Unsurprisingly, information was not given on the plane used for this sonic boom.

Another explanation on the boom:

“The sonic boom was probably heard while the aircraft was decelerating from supersonic to subsonic speed between 36,000 and 40000 feet altitude”

What’s your take on the sonic boom? Breaking the sound barrier close to the city is quite a rare occurrence.

18 Likes

Oh boy imagine all the people waking up if a Concorde ever went transcontinental lol

2 Likes

I experienced a sonic boom, Swiss Air Force F/A-18C during training.

We talk a lot about the noise but the most impressive thing is the shock wave.
I was at school and it felt like an explosion or an heavy object falling (I mean tons heavy), windows shaking and all that.

It’s really scary in person, it’s a relief to know it’s just a sonic boom and not a bomb exploding somewhere.

Looks like Area 51 is testing some new alien tech. 😬

1 Like

Can we all think about the fact that the shockwave from these sonic booms is *tremendous *. The aircraft wasn’t even directly over the city, and it was above 30,000, maybe even 40,000 feet too. It was miles away, and several miles HIGH. To still be able to still hear and feel that sonic boom from such a large distance is amazing, to me at least.

2 Likes

I wonder if the sonic boom had any impact on the buildings of the city?

Shook like crazy… everyone panicked

1 Like

I also am curious if any buildings became unsafe after all the shaking?

Most building structures are made with the thought in mind of the situation of an earthquake, so they will probably have no structural damage from a sonic boom of this size.

1 Like

IFC just had a sonic boom right now :)

1 Like

Sonic booms have been reported to be devestating to cities below as windows would often get shattered, and people would temporary loose their hearing. This is one of the reasons as to why Concord doesn’t exist anymore.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.