Something isn’t right...

Planes are taking off form runway 27L in atlanta, which means maintenance on 27R or something else like that. Does anyone know what’s up?

4 Likes

No idea myself. I couldn’t find any news on it, I imagine maybe a quick runway safety check is in progress or something similar.

3 Likes

Are they runway sweeping, runway checking, fixing a light, etc.?

3 Likes

They might be re-grooving or painting it, or who knows. Maybe someone woke up today and said, “I’m going to close 27R at Hartsfield-Jackson today.”

2 Likes

That’s what I’m guessing. I flew to Denver international airport a few months ago and we went to takeoff 17L which I thought was weird since it’s the outside runway and so remote. But from part of the taxiway I could see down 17R and there was a giant upright flashing X at the close end. I looked it up and I think it’s being resurfaced. Did you see it IRL or from FR24?

2 Likes

The runway is closed looks like until November from the NOTAM.

Edit: as suggested by @Maxmustang site is Defense Internet Notam Service (DINS)

6 Likes

@VVBA6… BZ Sailer, Always Check the NOTAM during pre-flight route selection nuggets! Hope your response gets wide distro in the IF ready room… Semper Fi, first one in the air is the leader…
Regards, Max

(Suggest edit your last and cite Web source as all hands reminder/learning experience)

3 Likes

I’m not positive but I believe they are repacking the runway. I hear someone talking about it when I was spotting the other day

1 Like

I saw it on flightradar24 and planes are still taking off from 27L.
@VVBA6 Hmm, know why?

1 Like

As your friendly ATL native I can confirm this is the only logical answer. They have the aircraft crossing in the red, and my best guess is they are working on the Blue. I’ll be at the Renaissance this weekend so I can confirm or deny then

1 Like

Okay, thank you!

1 Like

Closed by OP request