Some questions

1. the 772 often gets ‘stuck’ when making tight turns while taxiing. I get the logic behind losing speed when turning but bro sometimes I need like 50%+ N1 to start moving in a 90 degree intersection. or even just to make a regular turn onto a runway… The a359 never gets “stuck” per say…is this a realistic characteristic of the 772 or its just not modelled properly?

2. Sometimes simbrief gives weird cruise speeds for aircraft, in my case it said cruise at M .80 transatlantic in the 772, though Im certain 777s typically cruise around m.83-.84. Is this based on real life (as in it detects the speed of other aircraft using the real-world route, or maybe an airway has a speed limit? Bc I am not using a NAT track, am running slightly south but parallel to the eastbound NAT). Or is it that sometimes simbrief doesnt know what it’s talking about?

3. When planning any sort of flight, including long hauls, I plan a particular approach for a particular runway with various manually-calculated altitudes. When I finally reach my destination, however, occasionally the runway I planned for isnt ideal (as in, has heavy tailwind/crosswind). In real life, do pilots literally alter the flightplan if their arrival runway isn’t what they planned for?

thx lads

1. Depends on speed, flaps, trim, etc.

2. I mean, if you prefer a different speed, you could use them. I know you are “professional” (you’ve said that before), so you make the call.

3. I’d assume yes.

2 Likes

oh i meant stuck when taxiing on ground

1. I’ve noticed this too. Sometimes it is simply because I take the turns too sharp as I find I need more rudder to steer the 772. Maybe you’re doing the same thing?

2. SimBrief gathers information based off real world information. You are always welcome to adjust what you want.

3. Yes, they do! It’s happened on plenty of flights I have been on before.

For number 1 maybe your taking the turns to sharply?

Well, if you’re turning sharply, you’re definitely going to lose speed. Make shallower turns.

Noticed this. Just ease into it a little bit, and don’t get caught off guard so you don’t need to make any super sharp turns.

You can override the cruise speeds Simbrief gives by choosing your designated cruise speed on the main page.

Yes, but you can use windy.com or something to plan your arrival. It doesn’t get it 100% of the time but it’s good most of the time.

2 Likes

I’ve faced that issue as well, and yes making shallower turns does work but this can’t be applied while parking, if you take shallower turns, there’s a high chance you’ll not be able to align the aircraft with the parking centerline.

1 Like

@Captain_Oblivious Hey!

When you are talking about the 772 getting ‘stuck’, what speed are you taking the 90 degrees turn at? And also are you taxiing with one engine? Can you provide this information and then maybe I’ll be able to help.

ive also noticed that the B772 absolutely sucks at tight turns where the A359 and other non-reworked aircraft dont struggle at all. it is most evident when turning into a parking stand

I generally begin the turn about 2 meters before my nose gear reaches the parking centerline, doing 8-10kts GS, which i believe is pretty much how its done IRL

for the B772, i have to begin the turn way earlier, and it doesnt look legit at all, and it makes lining up with the stopbar difficult

i try to approach tight turns (runway/parking stand) around 8 kts with both engines running, then it just drastically reduces speed and i need a lot of power to reach even half a knot. the effect of turning nose wheel seems exaggerated in the 772

You should only need to turn it 45 degrees maximum to make most turns?

Which turn have you struggled with, I will try to recreate

This is realistic, in real life however pilots often use differential thrust to line up or go through tight angles. Basically pushing the left throttle for a left turn. We can’t do this in IF.

Yes the 772 cruises faster but depending on the cost index you may have to use a lower cruise speed. Another reason to cruise at 0.80 is turbulent air.

Pilots have to regularly check the weather before and during the flight. It’s really easy now, you just have to add the initial fix for your STAR and insert the actual arrival and your desired runway 20min before arriving.

Furthermore you can still land within a 5-10kts downwind but why bother if you can use the other runway.

2 Likes

thank you mate