Some Questions that I have

Dear Infinite flight community,

Below are some questions I just would like to be answered to get a better understanding of flying on expert. ;)

• If you on a Center’s Frequency and your in range of ATIS at your Arrival airport, do you just say standby and tune into ATIS? (Obviously you would tune back once finished listening to ATIS)

• When under gate hold, do you still request pushback notifying ATC that even though gate hold in in play, once dropped you’ve been ready for pushback?

• When on straight out departures ATC would say fly
runway heading until ___. When that altitude is reached, do you still have to be clear of the Red 8 - 10 mile path until you start your turn? Also do you need to request departure to the ___ after you exit the 8 - 10 marker path?

• When you request departure to a certain heading (North, West, South, etc…) Would you determine your departure by your Stars in your Flight plan, or by your compass at the bottom of your screen when using Hud or Mid hud?

• If your flight plan goes all the way through the 8 - 10 marker Path, do you just say that your departing straight out?

• When requested flight following in Center and Departure, do you need to state your approach request when under FL180 for Center and for departure to, unless asked your approach request from ATC?

• Sometimes ATC would send a very last vector for you and clear you for an approach on your requested or assigned runway but sometimes would send you a heading that wouldn’t allow you to capture the Localizer. Would you just usually correct yourself to capture the localizer? (I usually do that)

• On Unicom do you have to report your EVERY position such as Right Downwind, left crosswind, left base etc…?

• Generally how many Miles from your Arrival airport would be considered a Missed Approach and a Go around?

• In a Go around, will you generally fly runway heading until at the very end so you wouldn’t fly directly over the airport? 😂

• In a Go around would you wait for ATC to tell you to “Turn Crosswind” or “Right Downwind”?

• In pattern work if ATC tells you to turn crosswind, would you maintain crosswind until further instructions? Or is everything else at your discretion?

• If told to go to departure and it goes offline, would you tune into Approach if in range and another departure isn’t in use?

• If you requested flight following on departure and your told proceed on course. Would you continue to request flight following on Center? Or just Check in on Centers frequencies?

• If told proceed on course, can you still request radar vectors?

Thank you for your time trying to Answer My questions!

Sincerely,
@Captain_Ian ;))

If you would like to provide any Videos that might answer my questions, Please do so!

5 Likes

AFAIK, no. Once gate hold is lifted, then you may request pushback.

No, once you’ve reached altitude specified, you can turn to whatever heading you need to.

Nope. Your departure direction should be included when you first request departure.

I’m not sure if I completely understand, but I always request departure direction according to the SID. Let’s say the SID has me turn from the runway heading (250) to a southern heading (180) then an eastern heading (90). I’ll request departure to the east.

Yes.

No. Flight following corresponds to VFR, which doesn’t necessitate requesting an approach/altitude/etc. You should either “Check In” or immediately request an approach, both of which correspond to IFR.

Yes.

I don’t, with the exception of final. If someone requests a traffic advisory I’ll respond with “X Unicom is using runway X, Left/Right traffic”

Generally, I consider anything before 5nm a missed approach, and anything after a go around.

In a go around, I’ll fly runway heading until I’m a couple miles past the runway, then I’ll turn to whatever heading to have another go at it.

No. Tower will usually hand you off to Approach, who will give you vectors.

No. You should immediately enter downwind and wait for sequencing.

No, unless Approach requests that I tune to his/her frequency.

Also request flight following when you tune into Center.

No.

4 Likes

If you click on the dot of the airport on your map, there should be four buttons at the bottom of the airport’s information panel. Click the second one, WX, and you will be able to read the ATIS. You don’t have to leave any frequency.

There are two ways an IFATC approach controller may clear you for an ILS approach.

The first (and most common) is they will provide an intercept heading of no more than 30 degrees +/- the runway heading. Meaning that if you are going to land on runway 10, you will get a final intercept clearance of approximately a 70 or 130 heading. You as the pilot are responsible for the final turn to intercept that actual runway heading which is called capturing the localizer. One established on the localizer (meaning flying down the center red line of the ILS cone), you can descend on the glide slope all the way in for landing.

The second way is if you flight plan has a reasonable intercept course to the runway, has an extended final of around 25nm or is part of a typical approach procedure, ATC may simply give you an altitude clearance for the ILS without a heading vector. In these instances, you descend to the altitude provided in the clearance, and then follow your flight plan until you are established on the localizer. Then follow the same procedures as stated above.

To reiterate, in each instance you as the pilot are responsible for capturing the localizer. You should also never descend past the clearance altitude until you have done so.

Bonus: The approach controller cannot hand you off to tower on ILS approach until you are established on the localizer (once again meaning flying down the center line of the ILS cone for the runway you are landing on). Many pilots ask for a frequency change prior to being established.

1 Like

Thank you for your detailed responses!

1 Like

Yeah but when you contact Tower and you request a runway or say your on the ILS. If you didn’t listen to ATIS it’s going to say the Wrong Code name for what ATIS information you have. (Information Alpha, Charlie, etc…

1 Like

Are you sure about that? If so, does it really matter?

Um… I’m not sure if you were kinda being rude there but, If you have the wrong information from ATIS when you request something ATC is going to think that your not updated on the ATIS and is going to send you a message stating “Check ATIS Information.” So yes it does matter. ;)

2 Likes

Actually, with D-ATIS being a thing now, tower controllers don’t even listen too closely to if you call in with the ATIS information. If you don’t they assume you read the D-ATIS and have the most up to date airport information.

1 Like

Luckily I’m not one of those pilots that request frequency change when established on the localizer. I’m someone who would wait till ATC hands me off. :))

Sorry if you thought I was being rude. I really hate to give off that impression. When you call inbound it doesn’t mention ATIS.

1 Like

I still just like to listen just to notify them that I listened to the ATIS information. I always read the ATIS anyways on my approach until In range of the ATIS frequency :))

1 Like

Thanks! Sorry for the confusion 🙂

1 Like

No problem. My apoligies.

It’s completely fine! ;))

1 Like

No u do not

Yep, not a problem! But it’s totally alright and pretty normal if you don’t listen to it or if you aren’t up to to date with the actual frequency. Obviously you’re just expected to read it then

Everyone, I will be right back! Until then we are on gate hold 😆

Let me guess, SFO ground out you on gate hold? 😂😂

The departure direction is used when doing pattern work and you want to leave the pattern and fly to another airport