Some more questions

Some more questions…

1. Should you plan your own approach if there is no approach atc available?

2. When should I start descent and at what rate?

3. How do u edit the layout? I see so. Many live-streams where. People can edit the ALT or SPD on the autopilot without clicking on the autopilot tab because it is right there.

4. What is the little circle thing called on the HUD that shows u where u are going to land and where is it in the cockpit view?

5. How do people stabilize the aircraft when on finale? I have a joystick and the plan still ends up rolling or yawing randomly

6. Also, when I use the joystick to pull up, it starts yawing because I end up controlling the yaw, is there any way I can fix that?

7. Is it normal to show the red FUEL symbol next to the ÉTÉ to d’est during strong wind?

8. When should you engage autopilot after takeoff?

These are all the questions I currently have.

I would appreciate if you could just answer one.

Thanks!

2 Likes
  1. Yes
  2. Everybody has there own ways just do it when you feel comfortable or even watch a few videos on you tube, for example I decend at a rate of - 1500fpm at FL320, 16 minutes out for an airport at 0 feet
  3. Don’t know that one sorry:(
  4. That’s the flight path vector (fpv) and its not in live cockpits unfortunately if you want it you need the hud on
  5. Point your nose into the wind if it’s strong, do some approaches on solo to try get used to a certain aircraft
  6. It may be a case of no rudder?
  7. Yes
  8. When ever you feel comfortable
1 Like

I have an answer to that.

The ui you mentioned was in previous older version so it was changed when it was updated to a new version. Newer version requires you to click on AP tab to change it. And I’m afraid you can’t change the layout of the ui.

4 Likes

For some clarification on the descent question it’s all about math.

Top of descent (TOD) is how far out you should start descent for a desired rate of descent (TOD)
TOD= (Alt/Rod)*(Gs/60)
Pick a rate of descent you like
Alt= Altitude
Rod= Rate of descent
Gs= Ground speed

If you want to know how fast to descend from a certain distance then;
Rod= (Gs/60)*(Ft/Nm)
Ft/Nm= Altitude loss needed divided by the distance to destination.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Normally if I am cruising between 28 and 36 thousand feet AGL, I start my descent at 15 minutes ETE Dest. I will keep my VS between -1500 and -2000 until I get to 11,000 feet at which point I should have about 6 minutes left. Then I Slow down a bit and start descending at around -1000 VS. then in the last minute I hope to have 1,000 feet to descend at -1000 VS. Then you should meet up pretty well with the runway. I have never used ILS so this is the way I do it every time.

1 Like

At first your nose will be pointing down below the rest of the plane but as you slow down and increase flaps, the nose will come back up.

1 Like
  1. Yes, implement STAR’s and approach procedures as part of your flight plan, obviously if there happens to be ATC approach then take their instructions as priority.
  2. If you’re in the A350 you can use the flight plan display to plan. Otherwise, I calculate top of descent by subtracting the target altitude from the current altitude. For example, I want to go down from FL400 to FL040, this would mean I subtract 40-4=36, then you multiply 36x3 for a three degree descent and you get 108, so you start your descent 108 nautical miles away. As for descent rate it’s just groundspeed*5.
  3. This depends on devices.
  4. The little circle thing is called the flight path vector (FPV). You can only activate it with the HUD activated, so you can’t have it without the HUD in cockpit view.
  5. This can be attributed to manual flying skills. What I learned in real life is that it always helps to make tiny corrections. I use the joystick as well, and the advice I can give you is to be gentle on the joystick, but also make constant corrections here and there only when required to ensure you don’t deviate off course. This takes practice but it’s very rewarding to fly entire instrument approaches manually.
  6. For that, try not to rotate the joystick when applying any sort of input.
  7. It is normal during certain periods of the flight, for example there may be a headwind at the start of your flight as you have mentioned, it’s not always normal, but unless the fuel status remains red for the entire duration of the journey, then this should not worry you.
  8. This is up to the pilot flying. I usually hand fly entire SID’s (departure routes) and then engage autopilot after 10,000ft because I love manual flying, so it’s your choice.
1 Like

I would also suggest you study and follow the many great tutorials that are provided by the staff and Moderators. If you have already done so, just keep practicing. It takes time to learn and be comfortable with the different aircraft and phases of flight in IF

It’s also great to keep asking questions; nothing wrong with that. Practice, practice…and of course, have fun enjoying this great SIM. Happy flying!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.