Solar Stratos Plane Will Climb To 80,000ft

Here’s a very interesting solar powered plane that’s set for its first test flights in 2018. Destination? The stratosphere. Here are a couple of links which includes a short video, then the website link. I’ll also include the English translation from the site below, enjoy! Video posted to Instagram by Futurism. None of the footage or websites are mine.

https://www.solarstratos.com/plane/

CHARACTERISTICS
SolarStratos is the first two-seater solar airplane in history, it will also be the first solar airplane with pilot to penetrate the stratosphere. Calin Gologan (Elektra-Solar GmbH - Technical Partner of SolarStratos) is the designer. The base of this commercial aircraft will be used and the airplane will be pushed to the limit of its possibilities to succeed our crazy bet. This tandem two-seater, with a wingspan of 24 meters, weighing 450 kilos will fly like any other aircraft. SolarStratos will not be able to fly perpetually. This will not hamper the SolarStratos Mission which will be a high altitude flight.

AN AIR FOR SCIENCE
By exploring the distant space, we want to contribute primarily to the protection of our atmosphere, it requires a better understanding of what is happening there. The Mission SolarStratos will fly at a very low altitude, in a fragile environment, propelled solely by solar energy, without the least emission of pollutant and will give us the possibility to carry out unprecedented measurements, never carried out until today. In the future, the exploration of the stratosphere will allow us perhaps to extend and extend humanity … who knows …

16 Likes

Don’t you think this could use the Real World Aviation category?

2 Likes

Yeah it could go there, I was just sharing it with the lounge. Maybe it would be better to share with everyone.

3 Likes

I understand, I too wouldn’t want the little one’s to look at this and place a feature request for this aircraft 😅

4 Likes

Kinda off-topic but also a learning curve: There is no such thing as FL800.All FLs stop at FL600 or 60,000 feet. Anything above that would be Class E airspace

3 Likes

Imagine the price of the ticket for that flight.

3 Likes

How will it get any lift all the way up at 80,000ft?

3 Likes

Thank you! I didn’t know that. Also thank you @Potato_pilot for providing the edit.

3 Likes

It says it will be the first plane the climb to 80,000 feet.
Not true, I’ve done it before in an F22 in Infinite Flight.

5 Likes

It probably wouldn’t be commercial, it looks like a private aircraft.

3 Likes

In the video, it said first commerical plane.

3 Likes

Commercially maybe for sight seeing? or just the experience in general? The flat Earth mob should go up for sure.

4 Likes

Ya, that’s sounds like how it’s going to work.

2 Likes

@Mix56awesome @Flightfan84 the article or video says it’s the first plane to go to 80,000 feet but in this instance commercial does not equal airlines as most people think of it.

3 Likes

Oh ok, so it’s for personal flights?

Yes and no. The FAR/AIM describes what is a commercial operation and what is an airline job

1 Like

the earths atmosphere actually continues around 1/3 of the way to the moon but it is extremely thin so there is still lift at 80,000 feet if your wings are long enough and you are light enough but you cant fly much higher because the air is to thin any higher.

2 Likes

Ok, thanks for explaining 😀

1 Like

Imagine the same setting as a helicopter tour. You pay for it, so therefore it’s a commercial operation, but it’s not scheduled transportation like an airline.

1 Like

That’s a good explanation…I might make a post about the difference shortly

2 Likes