Solar eclipse in Infinite flight

I don’t know. If you know, please tell me. Will there be an 8th April solar eclipse in Infinite flight? I’m curious. 😅

3 Likes

To put it simple

NO

3 Likes

The moon will appear in front of the sun but will not affect the light coming from it.

1 Like

Ohh nice :)

dang that sucks, it would be cool though…

might have to use it for some pics

Would you not suspect this might happen once during every month of every year in IF because the movement of the sun and moon are likely perfectly aligned in IF?

The algorithm complexity to keep track of the irl misalignment that results in the eclipse effect would most certainly be beyond the scope of the sim task.

Of course you could fake the darkening on the known dates, but even that would be complicated because you’d have to get the right zone of darkness on the earth’s surface which changes each time.

Because the new moon is invisible (lighted from behind), you can’t easily check the alignment of the apparent “orbits.” But it’s logical to guess they are always aligned.

2 Likes

2 Likes

what-meme

Solar eclipses of any sort are rare events which can accurately be calculated for decades in advance (if not centuries or millennials).

A look through ancient civilizations and religion can show you how important it is and how good humanity is at it.

For Infinite Flight, I’m sure the devs made the rational argument that allocating your phone ressources on light tracking for an event that happens in the middle of the ocean twice a year was absolutely not worth it.

2 Likes

Hi, perhaps you’re referring to me saying this?:

If the apparent movement of the sun and moon across the ecliptic (the line in the sky corresponding to the plane of the solar system seem from the inside of that plane) are made to exactly coincide (they always move right on top of that line), then a solar eclipse will occur every month.

In the actual sky the sun, moon and planets are not perfectly following that line, they are offset somewhat in their orbits (of course the sun is stationary - its motion is apparent).

It’s those small offset orbital angles from the plane of the ecliptic that give rise to eclipses and planet transitions across the surface of the sun at a large range of intervals that differ widely from if all these objects were perfectly aligned (confined to the same plane).

If I understand you correctly, I think we’re mostly agreeing here on our guesses?

Yes. And I was excited when I learned my great grand aunt’s father was the last of the “great classical astronomers” as Einstein referred to him. He was a master of refining the tabulations of the motions of objects in the solar system. He also made a thorough mathematical study of a number of historical records of ancient eclipses and somehow determined inaccuracies in some of those historical claims. I don’t understand it in detail, but there is a lot online about him. Like I mentioned previously on the forum, I was stunned at finding out about this family history (due to my interest in astronomy):
Simon Newcomb - Wikipedia
Simon Newcomb, America’s first great astronomer | Physics Today | AIP Publishing

Some words on orbital mechanics way too exciting not to include (about the role of Newcomb’s orbital mechanics in verifying “space-time distortion” from Einstein’s theory of general relativity…my grandma’s name is there!):

edit: from your meme it appears you believed I was disagreeing with you, when in fact I was agreeing and adding.

2 Likes

I just tested it out on a region that should be rather close to totality (KBUF) at the predicted time of the eclipse at FL500. Absolutely nothing happened (as I expected)

3 Likes

Dang would’ve been cool if it actually worked