Smooth Landing

Does anyone have any general tips to a smooth landing and how to land like pilots do IRL. I am working on my landings and have gotten many butter landings especially in the A350 ( my favorite plane), however I would like to further improve them.

6 Likes
2 Likes

Landings are one of those things that are hard to give tips on as it is something that comes with practice and getting a feel for it yourself. That being said…

1. Make sure you are not overcorrecting. Be gentle on the controls and this will help to make a more stable approach/landing

2. USE THE RUDDER!!! Something anyone with good landings can not stress enough. Being on the centerline even in strong crosswinds will make your landings look very professional

3. Fly the nosewheel down to the runway. When you land make sure to keep the nosewheel up and slowly bring it down. All too often I see people land and smash the nosewheel onto the runway. To keep the nosewheel up on some planes you may need to put backpressure on the yoke/stick to keep the nose from smashing the ground

These are some of the best tips I can give you. Like I said earlier, it is up to you to refine your landings and get a feel for how to do it!

7 Likes

Get over to a uncontrolled airfield with a long runway and fly down the runway in landing configuration keeping 2-5ft of the ground in ground effect. Once your comfortable holding this position and what the attitudes look like you’ll master the landings

3 Likes

A way to do it at airports with steep approaches

1 Like

Practice, Practice, Practice is very important and you will grease them landings 😀✈

1 Like

Here’s a general “rule of thumb” for landing.
Your rate of descent for a 3° glide slope is approximately 1/2 your ground speed e.g.
140kt = 700 ft/min rate of descent not factoring in anything such as wind correction or just general aircraft manoeuvring characteristics.

Ensure that flaps are set for an appropriate landing speed which provides an adequate stopping distance during rollout usually 1.6x the stated distance is sufficient e.g. 1800m = 2880m

So the landing technique… On a “good” flying day, using an ILS approach.

Most aircraft have a strong “thrust pitch couple” which means that an application of power or reduction will cause the nose to rise and fall, this is good as it means that your overall descent can be controlled with proper power management and correct trim, without making too many heavy elevator inputs.

Once you’re established on a steady approach, by 500ft the approach should be stabilised and you’re satisfied that the aircraft is in a safe and controlled descent.

The last 200ft of an ILS approach should be largely a visual manoeuvre, relying on visual cues, but that isn’t to say that you should look up from instruments at 200ft, it’s important to keep looking at what’s in front of you.

Your aiming points should be the white aiming point markers (abeam the PAPI lights) and 3/4 of the way down the runway. Why? Having two visual references to compare ensures you are managing your horizontal and lateral profiles properly.

At 50ft your eyes should shift to the end of the runway this is called the “check” and it’s when you should also be applying a small amount of back pressure on the yoke to “check” your rate of descent, looking toward the end of the runway helps you to do this.

At 30ft you should be looking towards where you wish to put the main landing gear, ideally in the touchdown zone! A smooth landing is not necessarily a safe one.

Between 20-10ft on the radio altimeter you should be executing the final flare manoeuvre, raising the nose of the aircraft to roughly 3° pitch attitude and closing the thrust levers, the aircraft will naturally sink (pitch thrust couple) and the spoilers will deploy, maintaining centreline using the rudder.

Use of rudder during the approach should be limited to single engine aircraft and managing a slip during a crosswind in multi engine aircraft.

Hope this helps!

4 Likes

Just go in solo mode and do some approaches find a technique that works for you bro! :)

The man speaks the truth, Jack is a buttery boy #cringe but ah well he’s really good at landing!

Thanks for all the prompt replies will get practicing!!

Flare at just the right time. It’s key! To early and you slow fall out of the sky and thud on the runway. Too late and you hit late. Just right and you should hit it super smooth. Flare about right after runway numbers usually works for mid to large aircraft

ok thanks for all the repiles

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.