Smooth Autopilot Transitions

@PilotBrayden that’s exactly what I mean. In order to disable the autopilot without having your plane dive or climb, you have to adjust your trim. That’s not a glitch or something that needs to be fixed.

We should add also it’s mainly in crosswinds that its really bad and where you are not even changing heading the plane banks sharply. Completely ruins any immersion in the flight.
Also the transition doesn’t compensate for increased/decreased groundspeed. It always just seems to change about 5-10 seconds before you reach the next waypoint which for sharp transitions is way too late.
They really need to work on this as a priority i’d say. They just never comment on it so we dont know.

2 Likes

there is in real life , pilots set it to 10 degrees

IMO that is still a problem. If your trim is not perfect (and it’s never gonna be after the whole flight) and you adjust it before disengaging AP, the aircraft will still pitch up/down in response to trim. The only way is to eyeball based on the magenta bar.

Nice request…the AP is also very harsh on bank angles where it can slowly reach the needed angle rather than just jerking.

1 Like

Completely agree this would be helpful - the jarring turns are unpleasant and not particularly realistic.
While I can’t confirm this (don’t have access to the code), from my observations it appears the AP doesn’t adequately factor two important variables into its calculations:

1. Wind - you can see this best when approaching a waypoint at cruise with a heavy crosswind, or when attempting to intercept an ILS. The AP will set a HDG based on current position relative to the “path”, and will then slowly adjust as it incorporates the effect of any wind causing deviation from that path.

2. Acceleration or deceleration of the aircraft - you can see this most clearly when using AP to follow a SID. The aircraft is typically accelerating (IAS and GS) during this phase, and the AP consistently underestimates how quickly the turn needs be initiated under these conditions, which leads to overshooting waypoints.

A similar issue might also be present in the way the the AP intercepts the vertical component of the glideslope. It appears to manage VS by minimizing the deviation in the aircrafts altitude vs. the glideslope altitude at the aircrafts current position. Doing so works well once the aircraft is stabalized, but tends to lead to overcorrection while attempting to stabalize. In an ideal world, the AP would recognize not only the two variables mentioned before, but also the trajectories the aircraft is on vs. the glideslope to identify a point in the future where they could smoothly intercept. A good example of this working properly would be if the aircraft were below the glideslope, the AP would simply level off until it gets close to intercepting vs. the way it will initiate positive climb today, overshoot, and then pursue much more rapid descent to re-intercept.

4 Likes

We definitely need this

1 Like

That is not true. You adjust it carefully so that it wont pitch up. It’s simple. Just do +1 or -1 carefully. Dont add or take away too much at once. I do it all the time with no problems.

also 30° max bank angle to the AP is the most commont on real Jet airplanes instead of 25°

This is hard to Get smother, a tip is to not select that much change on the A/P at the few Seconds, that will make it better.

1 Like

Yes! This is exactly what I was looking for!

Also, when increasing your speed, the autothrottle shouldn’t just go full power. In real commercial flights, full power is almost never used. Instead, you as the player should be able to choose the max allowed throttle when A/P is on.

1 Like

The abrupt, violent turns really affects my flying experience. I don’t usually use NAV mode, but it’s an absolute must when do I do the occasional long-haul flight. A proper autopilot function is a fundamental core of any flight sim! This should be on the top of the developers’ list, not new aircrafts, clouds, etc.

3 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. This needs to happen.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more, especially the turning could use some touching up. The bank angle is fine but the transition to it is way too fast. You’d fly out of your seat irl.

4 Likes

This needs to be reworked, my support

3 Likes

I just voted. When you’re in NAV mode, every turn yeEets the aircraft left or right. I can’t help but think of the individual passengers’ necks every time my aircraft turns 😂

This is definitely needed.

1 Like

Oh tell me about it, in Real Flight simulator it’s 10x worse than IF it takes instant dives on descent at -8000ftpm

1 Like

I’d say the altitude and manually changing the heading small amounts at a time is fine, but NAV is so bad.

NAV turns are trash, but you’re right if you turn your aircraft at a +1 amount until the plane goes into a full turn is good but can be better tho

1 Like

Not to mention NAV overshooting.

1 Like