Small planes are hard to land

I’m just wondering why small aircraft like the B738 and A318,19,20,21 are hard to land smoothly and I was wondering if you know why I’m thinking it’s something to do with the weight of the aircraft but what do you think comment below.

This is IRL not in IF

Perhaps we have a few real world pilots in our mids who can comment on this.

In IF I don’t find it harder to land smaller airliners, and, trusting the great flying dynamics programmeur in IF, I assume it wont be much different in real life.

I’ve never landed a plane in real life! I would not call them small planes!

1 Like

Definitely agree,
They are actually pretty considerable in size…small planes would be dash8,embraer etc…
But i don’t know the answer because I am not a real life pilot lol.

2 Likes

So let’s clear something up. A smooth landing doesn’t necessarily translate to a good landing. We aim to touch down positively, not hard, at the right speed in the right place. To try and hold off to get a greaser risks either floating or a tail strike and we don’t want that!

I’ve flown the BAe 146 and that was easy to grease but that’s largely as a function of the trailing link landing gear which translated large movement of the wheels to a smaller movement of the oleos.

The 737, particularly the 800, is a different beast and whilst we don’t aim to plant it 6 feet underground it’s a difficult one to get consistently smooth landings. Again, that’s a function of the landing gear. Like the Mini Bus family it’s got pretty long legs and they seem to translate the impact through the the fuselage. However, if you get it perfectly right it’ll grease on like the Fonz.

At the end of the day it’ll come down to that particular aircraft’s landing gear arrangement, wheel size, pre load in the oleos and all sorts of stuff.

If you want consistently smooth landings on IF with those aircraft you mention then I’d suggest flying at a speed which gives you an pitch attitude of 2-4 degrees nose up, closing the throttle at about 30’, at 20’ flare gently until your VV is approximately 1 degree below the horizon then as the speed decreases keep flaring so the VV stays between 1 degree and half a degree below the horizon, then practice.

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.