Slow down when taxiing - Expert Server

Ever taxied at 50kts GS? It takes some time to stop doesn’t it? It’s quite hard to make that turn, right?
I’ve seen too many people taxiing at 40-60kts. Slow down while taxiing! Yes, the 35kt taxi warning is gone! That shouldn’t mean you can taxi over 60kts just because the runway is far away. It may save yourself from a ghosting (taxiing through planes, accidentally taxiing onto a runway…etc)

Normally, in real life, planes taxi at around 25kts and 10kts at turns.

44 Likes

Wait the warning is gone ???

No wonder there has been so many people taxing at the speed of light

17 Likes

Yes, it is. I believe it was a mistake and it will be back with the next update. For now, since the warning isn’t their, it doesn’t give you excuse to taxi faster than 35.

9 Likes

Yeah I know I only taxi under 15 gs

3 Likes

That’s a bit slow. Up to 30-35 knots on straight taxiway and down to 10-15 knots for 90 degree turns is fine.

5 Likes

Great pint raised @Panther. It’s like people are racing to the runway. I think they should be able to maintain 35kts and be able to reach the runway without taking very long. 50kts is just unreasonable.

8 Likes

whether the warning was removed on purpose or accidentally, it doesn’t give a valid reason to taxi at 50kts and by the time one qualifies to the Expert server they should be familiar with the rules e.g 35kt speed limit while on the taxiway.

5 Likes

Yes I know I wasn’t saying anything against that

I meant to say wait the warning is gone?!!

3 Likes

It’s alright now. I know you are a good pilot and very unlikely to break the rules.
Cheers :)

3 Likes

Yah, I tAxI aT 402 kNtS!

Well that’s TS1 for you… I normally taxi at 25-35 knts and corners, about 10-20 knts

4 Likes

Max 30 kts: straight line with no close obstacles (for example: back-tracking on the runway)
Max 20 kts: straight line with obstacles (for example: on the taxiway, or close to other aircraft/stands/ground vehicles)
Max 10 kts: turns and entry onto ramp area

Got it from here, https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/426/what-is-the-maximum-taxi-speed-and-who-defines-it/432

4 Likes

You shouldn’t be at 30 Knots when backtracking on the runway though.

3 Likes

Back-tracking/taxiing should be around 40kts

3 Likes

I don’t think ATC at a busy airport would appreciate an aircraft backtracking the runway at 25kts since it is Palle depending on how you perceive it.

2 Likes

Definitely not the backtracking, it’s too slow, I know. In the end there is no exact rule at which speed you need to taxi, so just be considerate and have a common sense, I think?

2 Likes

More info about Back Taxi is in this excellent vid by @Mark_Denton. When instructed to back taxi please expedite the process, nothing wrong with doing it at higher speeds as demonstrated in the video.

5 Likes

This is a needed topic. It’s really annoying to see people going V1 on a taxiway.

3 Likes

So that explains the person who decided to launch into the terminals at 60 knots. Ugh

1 Like

Thanks for telling the speed that most planes do it at, I always go way to fast for the turns and I go onto the grass. Cheers!

1 Like

a lot of it comes down to the plane you’re in as well and also the weight. I know that in the boeing 737 i can take a corner comfortably at 15 knots but in the boeing 777 i have to go considerably slower in order not to overshoot.

2 Likes