Skinny Pilots

I know that there are requirements that Cabin crew have to meet before being employed by airlines in terms of their appearance amongst others. Does the same apply for pilots? Why do they look so skinny? Just out of interest.

Because if they were fat, they wouldn’t be able to fit through the cockpit door.

23 Likes

Not every pilot looks “skinny”

The airlines just require their pilots to have an averaged fitness

7 Likes

And you want to fit through the aisles.

2 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

I don’t think there’s a height limit for pilots. Obviously if you are 7 ft tall then that could be a problem, but otherwise I don’t think that exists. I could be wrong though…

2 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

In Argentina u have to do a medical test every 12 months. Tests involve 14 different medical examinations as from heart, neurological, psychological, eyes, sounds, blood tests, etc. Its done by Air Force and u need to have their ok for flying.

But there is no standard on weight and height, just being healthy.

1 Like

@Aernout @Erj145

3 Likes

As ATPL Commercial Pilot myself, thats a tricky answer… the aviation industry is one of the most subjective industries, Pilots have to meet the airlines Image and that can include everything from nationality to Weight, Legally they can’y give that as the reason… but they will find another to say no thank you… but don’t give up when it’s all said and done there is a place for everyone in Aviation :)

1 Like

Lol. Skinny? Maybe in Europe or Asia. Def not the case here in the US. Maybe it’s it’s that peanuts and water diet pilots are on :p

Sure there is a height requirement. I am 5’6 so I am good to go. As far as weight? No. If you pass your 1St class medical and ecg
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/standards/

Fighter pilots on the other hand, requirements are black or white. No grey areas.

3 Likes

They say fat people are nice that’s why there are no limits and no skinny pilots ;)

6 Likes

I had a fat pilot on my my a few hours ago. The other one was slim though.

That is very offensive to fat people/ Pilots. Just sayin…

Also fat pilots are preferred by airport food vendors.

1 Like

You have to have a decent BMI (not in the overweight section)

Well fitting through the cockpit door of a ERJ-145 for example is a whole lot different than an A380 or B777 cockpit door.

2 Likes

The threshold under the EASA is obese rather than merely overweight. Even if obese you can still pass, although the AME will asses whether your obesity would be “likely to interfere with the safe exercise of the applicable licence(s)”.

I think the stewardesses are skinnier.

The stewardesses should be more attractive. It is one of the reasons I fly.

2 Likes