Single Pilot Airliners

Reading this article, it’s talking about more automation in the cockpit which they ‘hope’ would require the need for only one pilot in the cockpit.

2 Likes

What a stupid idea what happens if that pilot becomes disabled?

6 Likes

100% agree with Josh at this moment, what would happen if something happened to the pilot…

I agree. I wouldn’t feel too comfortable flying on a single pilot airline/aircraft.

2 Likes

It’s happened where the captain has died so what would happen then?

2 Likes

No. Just no. There are way to many things that could go wrong with only one pilot in the cockpit.

3 Likes

Also, goes against the regulations put in place following the Germanwings incident last year.

3 Likes

Maybe on an air taxi but on a airliner. I’m not going to die because the pilot had food poisoning and the door was locked!

1 Like

Ladies and gentlemen, the new autopilot which will replace the second pilot.

19 Likes

This is one of the worst ideas I’ve ever heard of, but thanks for the article, at least I can inform myself about this :D

2 Likes

Hahahaha, I like the hair on the front xD Where is this from?

“Airplane!”, with Leslie Nielsen.

Thank you very much!

No problem!

The F-22 and F-35 already have this feature, if the pilot was hooked up to a flight suit and it detected he was dead or unable to operate the aircraft it could switch to fully automatic flight. Maybe a robot could be there doing the checklists, someone on the ground could have access to a simulator that is remotely connected to the plane to troubleshoot if the pilot cant. Airbus has the fly by wire system that prevents it from doing safe maneuvers, it could be bumped up and not allow the pilot to attempt suicide like maneuvers. I don’t know if that made any sense but I think it could work.

2 Likes

That makes sense! However, you mentioned the F-22 and F-35 and their suits, all fighter pilots wear flying suits, g suits and other survival equipment, whereas a commercial pilot doesn’t…?

Well, they better triple the starting pay while they are at it

1 Like

Nope, nope, nope. You can’t pay me enough to fly in a one pilot aircraft.

Max Sez… Been there done that. They said a man could not fly until the first manned glider launched successfully in the 16th century! Manned fight to will pass. Just ask any military or agency Drone Driver!

Not only will this make a lot of people uncomfortable, but I don’t think a pilot would want to be stuck on his own in a room without anyone to communicate with (except ATC). It would get pretty lonely up there and a lot of pressure would be put on the pilot throughout the whole flight. I totally don’t support this idea.

1 Like