Singapore Airlines to soon start revenue service with 737-800s

Photo Credit: Jivesh Chander

Today, the first Singapore Airlines Boeing 737-800, 9V-MGA took to the skies for a scheduled air test today, with multiple plane spotters waiting to catch its arrival from the air test. 9V-MGA, a 6 year old aircraft previously flown by SilkAir, Singapore Airlines’s regional wing was repainted into a Singapore Airlines livery recently.

The plan is now for SilkAir’s entire Boeing 737-800 fleet to be repainted in the new livery by March 2021. A number of aircrafts has already been repainted.

For that matter, it’s probably worth noting that this isn’t the first time that Singapore Airlines is operating the 737. Back in the 1970s, Singapore Airlines operated 737-100s and 737-300s.

9V-MGA is scheduled to start revenue service by next week, and I’ll definitely be heading out to spot it’s first revenue flight.

Singapore Airlines fleet is made up of mainly wide bodies, so it’ll take quite a bit of time for me (and others) to get used to this small little 737-800.

What do you think of Singapore Airlines operating 737-800s? Let me know!

30 Likes

I’m coming, @TheAviationGallery.

5 Likes

Oh man, that’s hot. Do you know what routes it’ll be flying?

1 Like

Those cheatlines fit the 737 almost perfectly! Looks really cool!

3 Likes

Basically taking over all the current SilkAir routes.

1 Like

So silk air is no more or something?

1 Like

Silkair will be absorbed by its parent company, Singapore Airlines. So yes, the Silkair brand is being removed.

3 Likes

Oh ok i was hoping to fly them. specifically on the SIN-HKT route.
and are Silk airs routes staying as well?

1 Like

Since silkair is like being absorbed what about its a319/a320s

1 Like

Yes, these SQ 737s will operate the old Silkair routes.

3 Likes

okokok Coool
✌🏾

1 Like

They will be phased out.

2 Likes

Rip :(

1 Like

I had a bad experience on my last flight with SilkAir B737-800. i had black - dust particles all over my body and over my clothes during the flight. Luckily, i need to wait 8 hrs for my connecting flight.

1 Like

Such an odd sign to see a short-haul aircraft in these colours!

To include SilkAir into Singapore Airlines is going to make the brands more connected and will bring Singapore Airlines great reputation also to these regional markets, which sound like a nice plan in my opinion :)

1 Like

Since a singapore 738 is real I thought I will make a feature request on it into infinite flight Singapore Airlines 737-800

1 Like

Definitely! I’m looking forward to it.

1 Like

Maybe this is another way I can get to Singapore to visit @TheAviationGallery ;)

2 Likes

by operating with 737-800’s, SIA can reach more smaller Indonesian airport but with high international interests like WAHI for example😏😏.The livery suits the fuselage as well

Waiting for someone making livery request on 737 rework 😲😲

1 Like

There is one already!

2 Likes