Singapore Airlines to fly to Stockholm from May 2017 (Via Moscow)

Quoting this from the my other thread

Singapore Airlines just made a statement about the new route to ARN, This route will be operated via DME and will be served by A359 from 30 May 2017. I think it’s a good step ahead for SQ to explore new routes to Europe. Though, I’m still curious why don’t they make SIN-ARN non-stop instead. But it will be exciting to discover new routes to Stockholm imo which is currently underrated by many Southeast Asian Carriers. Fyi, Singapore Airlines will be the 2nd Southeast Asian Carrier to operate routes to Stockholm after Thai Airways. and this addition also makes Stockholm to be the 2nd city in Scandinavia Area in the SIA’s map.

The Current Schedule & Timetable to Moscow

Before the opening of this route, the current schedule on SQ361/362 as follows (Starts from 15 December 2016) :

SQ362 SIN 00:15 – 06:20 DME (Mon & Thu) A350 Service
SQ362 SIN 00:15 – 06:20 DME (Tue & Sat) 777-300 Service

SQ361 DME 14:45 – 06:15+1 day SIN (Mon & Thu) A350 Service
SQ361 DME 14:45 – 06:15+1 day SIN (Tue & Sat) 777-300 Service

Starts from 3rd of January, SQ361/362 will be served by A350 4x weekly

The new service will starts at 30 May 2017 with 5x Weekly Frequency. (Subject to regulatory approval)

The Announcement Poster

Don’t forget to check the other Singapore Airlines’ New route announcement here

5 Likes

I like this like a lot! Good move for SQ getting more into the European market, the A350 is also that added thing to make it more appealing

1 Like

Indeed, SIA is maximalizing their A350 for their new routes. I also have a feeling they are going to operate to Tel Aviv, Following Cathay’s and Thai’s interest to operate routes to there (Update : It’s confirmed that TLV is on the list of the upcoming routes, Source)

2 Likes

Easy. While demand for a flight to Singapore from Arlanda is there, it’s not sufficient to create it as a non-stop flight, instead it picks up passengers at Moscow.

1 Like

Just found another reason why SIA operates SIN-DME-ARN route

Quoted from the article (Paragraph 3)
General Manager of Singapore Airlines in Russia Edmond Lim told the Russian Aviation Insider the introduction of the new connection will increase the frequency of Singapore-Moscow flights from four to five times a week. The top manager explained that the decision to extend the existing leg to Stockholm was made as the aircraft were wasting too much time on the ground awaiting for a return-flight to Singapore. However, due to significant distance of the flight, there was no point in trying to reduce the turn-around time in Moscow, Lim added.

My birthday :)

The reason they will be operating through DME is because in the early stages they aren’t sure of the demand, also because they are quite near to each other there’s no point sending separate aircraft all that way.

1 Like

Woud be really good connection to Asia from my country’s capital and the tourism grows to Sweden so this should be a good route which can connect to all the Nordic countries.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.