Singapore Airlines retires the first A380

Delivered in October 2007, this plane is going back to the German leasing firm, Dr. Peters group. They are going to try to find another airline to take the plane, but that may be very hard.

I’m honestly very surprised to see it retired this early. Well, I could see how that happens because of the very high cost to operate it. The cost to operate an A380 is very higher than the cost to operate a 2 engine plane, which most airlines are now getting rid of their 4 engine jets for 2 engine jets. Makes me sad!

34 Likes

Sad to see the larger aircraft going already. It’s the end of an era of jumbo-jets for sure and is ready for the next generation of newer, smaller and more efficient aircraft.

17 Likes

It’s the end of the lease. For all you know it could have been their plan to operate some for a short term.

3 Likes

Well Singapore airlines is known for having a relatively low fleet age.

3 Likes

It’s sad to see the 4 jets going. I’m supposed to be flying in one day after tomorrow with Air France. That aircraft I’m flying in is the a340.

1 Like

Yup, plus it’s one of the earliest birds, and those have various issues that makes them have little hope of seeing a second life. SQ is getting a brand new A380 soon to replace this one.

3 Likes

That A380 might go to Emirates since they’re still trying to get A380’s

2 Likes

I have said this many times, but using the logic of someone that doesn’t know stuff about market analysis or something like me, that the A380 came 10 years too early. Think of it. Airbus is right when they say that airline traffic doubles every 15 years or something and that airlines will need larger airplanes to be able to use the lacking space more efficiently. But if instead of coming out in 2007 it had come out in 2017 all those airlines will receive the A380 now and so can expand parallel to the passenger count.

Again, I am not an analyst or something so don’t think that my opinion is in anyway more valid than yours.

3 Likes

Sad… I flew on this aircraft sometime in early 2008 from Sydney to Singapore.

I think the decision made by SIA makes sense to me. As early A380s are usually more vulnerable to aircraft problems and also heavier than recently made A380s. SKA has been stored since June 2017 in SIAEC Hangar, Singapore and now she will be preaparing to be returned to the lessor, alongside SKB-SKE which will be done slowly next year.

Unfortunately, it’s highly likely that SKA (MSN003) is going to be scrapped by the lessor as no airline has made an intentions to buy SKA and strengthen by the lessor’s statement as quoted in OMAAT

“The article notes that the leasing company, Dr. Peters Group, is considering parting out the first two A380s that they get back from Singapore Airlines.”

9V-SKA-9V-SKE are going to be replaced by 5 new A380s (9V-SKU-9V-SKX) which will be delivered with new Business and First Class seats.

Obviously, this will be a sad and heartbreaking story for most of Aviation-Geeks to see the first A380 that is going to be scrapped. Rest in peace, 9V-SKA. Thank you for serving for SIA for almost 10 years.

In the future, it’s likely that these A380s will be replaced by SIA’s new 777-9X they ordered several months ago with EIS 2021 which will be more efficient compared to A380

8 Likes

You mean 10 years too early? If it came out now assuming a NEO-like engine was to be used to power the thing, it still would be at the same place that it’s at now. Airbus sold this plane as a way to curb the problem of rising congestion at slot restricted airports by shifting the focus from frequency to capacity. But the problem is that not enough airports are severely slot restricted for this to make sense, and very few routes can handle an A380, Emirates is the exception because they operate them to feed their massive Dubai hub as part of their one-stop to anywhere in the world operation.

1 Like

That’s the point. Unless the A380 makes a comeback, those airports might be. If airline travel doubles every 15 years then they will have to. It’s not really a choice.
Again, I have zero credentials or something of that sort some please correct me. Please.

1 Like

The Aviation World has changed significantly by now. Business Travellers are now looking for flexibility, not to mention the more expensive fuel prices lately. These are the reason why airliners such as 787 and A350 can be a success and revolutionary aircraft types.

4 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 3 hours unless flagged)

9 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

That’s true but if the amount of travellers continue to increase at a pretty fast rate, airlines will need to look back to Airbus’ A380. It may have came too early due to the circumstances of fuel prices, however if Airbus were to start designs now then it would’ve been successful.

1 Like

What I think really is gonna happen is the need for quicker fuel efficient planes. Once the 777-8 is out, anywhere in the world is theoretically reachable. However the flights take 20+hours, planes will start going faster and eventually larger. However it depends what air travel growth is like. I don’t see 4 engine planes returning, just 400+ passenger twin engine jets

2 Likes

Since my other comment was apperantly off topic (??), eh fair enough I guess

The a380 is cool and all but after it’s years of service it’s time to say goodbye probably. airlines will have much more success with twin engine airplanes, increased range and efficiency on smaller planes will eventually make the a380 obsolete for today’s market.

1 Like

Not quite. I mean just look at Emirates. No way they’re sending all those back anytime soon.

1 Like