Singapore Airlines expected to launch flights to nowhere by end October, concerns on unnecessary carbon emissions

It’s not just Singapore Airlines. But Qantas will have a 7 hrs Flight to nowhere too.

1 Like

Slightly off topic, it’s interesting the EU is trying to hide that agriculture is the no. 1 culprit for CO2 emission, by just generalizing it as “other sectors.” The argument that aviation is harmful to the environment isn’t a very valid one.

2 Likes

Then you got a lot of money to do that if thats the case

If these are sightseeing flights, wouldn’t everyone need to have a window seat, wouldn’t middle and aisle seats be useless and even on a narrow body they could only fill to 1/3 capacity?

1 Like

I mean… if the pandemic and restrictions weren’t in place, these planes would be pressurized every day. Now they’re being used at a lower frequency. Qantas for example, hasn’t used its 787s for passenger flights in months.

2 Likes

Human brain is pretty stupid when it comes to numbers - that’s why, for example, people are afraid of terrorism while almost no-one is afraid of a much deadly thing called car rides. To whine about aviation’s carbon footprint is just pure nonsense, because aviation is the industry where efficiency and economy are the key to survival and not just marketing.

3 Likes

If United did a flight to nowhere (and I had the money and the time) I would be the first person in line to fly to “nowhere!”😁

It sounds some fun!

True, but what I’m saying is they’re decreasing the lifespan of the plane for, what seems to me, to be a whole lot of nothing. I can’t imagine these flights could really be profitable; I need to look that up myself.

They may not be, but it helps the airline at least a litttle bit and quite frankly they need all the help they can get

1 Like

Well, if they weren’t, airlines wouldn’t just launch them after other airlines had already launched theirs

Actually, that may be very good for the plane and the airline even if they sell 1 ticket, because airplanes are designed to be frequently flown, which isn’t a thing nowadays and that means some interesting problems could arise later on. 737 for example can have a DUAL ENGINE FAILURE MAMMA MIA because of the long stand

3 Likes

I agree! It drives me crazy when people are scared of crashing on a plane or getting hijacked!

1 Like

Airlines operate flights at losses all the time (granted, they have profitable routes to make up for these).

The most dangerous part of every flight is the drive to and from the airport

1 Like

Regarding profitability, someone asked a similar question last month

For EVA Air’s Father’s Day flight, all 309 seats were quickly sold out. Economy Class went for around $180 USD and Business Class went for around $215 USD.

There’s 30 Business Class and 279 Economy Class seats on board EVA’s Hello Kitty A330-300, so they generated about $56,670 operating this flight. This should cover the expenses relating to fuel and amenities, and it should pay the pilots operating the flight.

For STARLUX’s first flight to nowhere, they managed to sell all 188 seats on their A321neo within 5 minutes. Economy Class costed $159 USD and Business Class cost $709 USD.
STARLUX’s A321neo has 8 Business Class and 180 Economy Class, so they generated around $34,292 USD.

All Nippon Airways has a similar pricing structure on its A380 flight to nowhere. Not only are they generating revenue, they’re also using the flight as a test flight to check up on the A380 and make sure it’s still flying normally.

So basically, these airlines are likely making money operating these flights to nowhere, so they can pay pilots, fuel expenses, etc.

3 Likes

Well, the tickets are around $200 USD for a 3 hour flight on a full service airline. Pretty worth it to me. Qantas’s 7 hour flight on the other hand is even more expensive, with tickets around $700 USD.

Wow people REALLY want to fly

Thanks for doing that research/clearing it up for me. It seems like the 1 off flights are pretty successful, my question is if that success can be sustained.

1 Like

I wish MH did smtg like this then i can fly

1 Like