Singapore Airlines Cuts Routes To Canberra And Wellington

Just this Monday, Singapore Airlines announced that it would be permanently suspending routes to Canberra and Wellington:

SQ 247 / 248 (WSSS - YMML - NZWN)

SQ 288 (WSSS - YSSY - YSCB)

These routes will no longer operate.

A spokesperson from the airline has said while these were tough choices, COVID-19 was really the last straw against the airline industry, significantly reducing travel demand in all fronts; additionally, the airline wasn’t expecting traffic levels for both routes to pick up, even if the pandemic had ended.

SQ 247 / 248 had initially started as WSSS - YSCB - NZWN, but it never became popular. After two years, the route service frequency had substantially dropped and was later replaced by WSSS - YMML - NZWN (the airline didn’t quite give up on those two cities). Prior to COVID-19, Singapore Airlines was the only airline to serve Wellington with a widebody.

As a result, Wellington has lost a major international airline and Canberra only has Qatar left flying to their airport, although they’ve temporarily suspended OTHH - YSCB as well.

10 Likes

No! That was so cool when they flew their 777 into Wellington. I know it changed but it’s still sad

Secondary destinations aren’t going to have a good time. Wouldn’t be surprised to see some cuts into Europe soon.

Fiji Airways and Qantas tho?

2 Likes

No way…
Feel bad for @Thomas. Such a shame to lose another route to COVID 😞

Very sad to see although unfortunately Auckland is the most popular choice with Christchurch being the second.

Along with the suspension of the route it’s sad to see American delaying there New Zealand Launch till Next year was looking forward to LAX-CHC

Wellington now loses their only widebody. It’s a shame but I hope better times would allow them to return once again.

This is sad, another hit for the aviation industry in NZ :( really hope they don’t cut the CHC service

1 Like

Don’t think they will they actually upped the current service starting October to Three times weekly as the route is a key export route for Otago and South Island Horticulture

2 Likes

NOOOOOOOO!!! I wanna cry!!! I just loved that route. Anyone got tissues?
sobs

They cut routes to Düsseldorf and Stockholm too.

Oh god… no way!